Alternatives may be preferable to Rec Center

Paige Teeny/Collegian
The University of Massachusetts’ recreation center may be a state-of-the-art-facility, but it is in no way perfect. Between the lack of parking, overcrowded stretching area and insecurities running high, the gym may cause some serious stress, not gained from a hard workout.

“I always say that I’m an open book and try to make people feel as comfortable as possible,” said junior public health and communications major Eliza Shirazi. Shirazi teaches kickboxing and soothing sculpt classes at the recreation center and said she can notice when someone in her class seems uncomfortable or insecure.

“Without singling them out I try to make eye contact with them and let them know they are doing it right … these classes are for the students and they should focus on themselves, not the other people in the class,” she said.

The classes offered by the recreation center are a great way to avoid the overcrowded workout space. The facility only allows a certain number of people in each activity room, which enables people to optimize their workout without waiting for a specific machine. However, this means that the classes are on a first-come, first-served basis.

There are, however, alternatives to our recreation center. Peddar Fitness is a new gym on College Street that offers affordable packages to those attending classes like Ab Solute, Boot Camp and Lunch Crunch. The actual membership fees vary, but the gym’s classes start at $8 for 30 minute sessions. The gym also offers personal and group training sessions and has just opened, so it may still be offering discounted startup packages. The gym has classes that start as early as 6 a.m. for the early birds and as late as 7 p.m. for those who enjoy an evening workout.

There is also Planet Fitness, which is located on Rt. 9 in Hadley.

“I pay $20 a month to go to Planet Fitness and I can use any location, bring unlimited guests and tanning, massage chairs and fitness training are all a part of the monthly fee,” junior Julie Hambrecht.

It also has other franchises open in Belchertown, Chicopee and Springfield. When asked why she joined Planet Fitness, Hambrecht, a communication disorders major replied, “I can drive there and never worry about parking and it’s always less crowded.”

UMass chemical engineering major Anthony Valle noted, “The gym takes my mind off school and other stress and makes me feel accomplished.”

While it’s easy to see the benefits of exercise in a physical sense, exercise also reduces stress and anxiety. The Mayo Clinic points out that exercise of any manner plays a role in mood elevation, stress and tension relief. The connection between stress and poor health is becoming more apparent and, when asked what he would do if the gym were somehow unavailable, Anthony replied, “I’d probably get a membership elsewhere or run around campus.”

The gym can be overwhelming at times no matter where one goes and sometimes it’s better to go for a run outside or use the Amherst bike trail with a friend. There are areas around campus that are perfect for a light jog.

Near the Southwest Residential Area, University Drive stretches from Massachusetts Avenue all the way to Rt. 9. From the intersection of University Drive and Massachusetts Avenue to the Big Y shopping plaza is about 1.5 miles. This is an open, flat space that is perfect for running.

Near the Central and Orchard Hill Residential Areas is East Pleasant Street. The loop from Butterfield Hall to Orchard Hill Drive is just under a mile and is a great substitute to running four laps around the recreation center’s track.

For those with Comcast cable there is a channel called FitTV that has exercise videos running daily. It is a good way to get exercise in the winter when snow and ice ruin one’s running route. It’s channel 40 in the dorms and runs shows including Gilad’s Bodies in Motion and Total Body Sculpt with Gilad. These are instructional shows that work similarly to a yoga DVD, except they are offered free through the school’s cable package.

There are many great ways to get exercise no matter what scene one prefers. The gym may be crowded and one may get ticketed for parking there, but it has every machine one could ever want and offers a multitude of classes that exercise the mind as well as the body.

For a secluded workout session, try joining a gym in one of the surrounding towns or using the bike path with a friend.

For a truly individual workout, people should build a running route customized to their living area or use instructional videos at home.

Kelsey Laning can be reached at [email protected].