UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Minutemen fall to Akron 30-6 on Tuesday night MACtion -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Awaken your awareness to sleeping -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

T-Swift v. Spotify: The battle over dying album sales -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The pumpkin spice pandemic -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

UMass women’s basketball hosts Maine seeking first win -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Public Engagement Project uses UMass research to promote social change -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

“Rosewater:” Poetic and relevant but nothing special -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

UMass seeks second-straight victory against BU

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team will look to improve its 2-1-1 home record as it takes on Maine at Rudd Field this Friday afternoon.

The Minutewomen (3-2-1), who are fresh off the heels of a 1-0 upset win over Boston University on Sunday, aim to snap the Black Bears’ (3-1-1) two-game win streak.

As the Maroon and White prepare to take on a Maine team that has limited its opponents to one goal or less in four of its five matches, UMass coach Ed Matz knows a full-game effort is needed to secure a win.

“I think it is just a matter of realizing that we have to put 90 minutes together of soccer,” said Matz. “You cannot beat anyone at the Division I level if you play 85 minutes of soccer. You just have to play a complete game. Sometimes you learn that the hard way. We learned that lesson against Harvard. [Against BU] we defended for 90 minutes and won. If you play good solid defense, anything is possible.”

UMass’ all-time record against Maine is 1-0-1, according to UMass Athletics, with their latest meet resulting in a scoreless tie at Maine Aug. 29, three years ago. In the only other contest between the two clubs, the Minutewomen won, 1-0, in Williamsport, Va., in 2007.

Matz, who has coached against the Black Bears during his tenure at Northeastern, knows how physically dominant they can be when they are in the zone.

“They are big, they are tall, they are strong [and] they are fast,” said Matz. “It’s going to be a matter of our midfield controlling their midfield. Hopefully our strikers will put some plays together and get themselves a goal.

“Maine always plays my teams tough,” added Matz. “When I coached at Northeastern a couple of years ago, my team was coming off a win against BU, and we went up to Maine and lost quite handily. They are a well-coached team.”

In a contest that will showcase two strong defensive teams, any offensive opportunities generated by either club will need to be converted.

Thus far, though the Minutewomen have racked up more total shots than the Black Bears (69-49) and have recorded the same number of goals (seven). Also, they have allowed more shots (86-66) and surrendered more goals (8-5) to opponents.

On offense, the Black Bears possess two scoring threats in senior forwards Courtney Harnais and Carolyne Nellis. Harnais, who is second on the team’s scoring list with two goals and seven shots, has scored the game-winning goal in the past two contests, both of which were 1-0 shutouts.

Her performances last week earned her the America East Player of the Week award. Nellis leads the team with four goals and 12 shots, seven of which were on goal. She also has a game-winning goal.

As far as key players, Matz identified who he thinks will prove critical against Maine’s offense.

“I think that Meghan Collins on defense is a huge key for us,” said Matz. “She has played great games in and game out and has probably been our most consistent player. I also think [Cecilia] Jensen is feeling healthy and will be a factor. She has been hobbled by a little bit of a foot injury the last couple games, but when she is healthy in the midfield she is a handful.”

Collins, a senior defenseman and midfielder, has started all six games this season and has been a strong presence in the defensive zone. Jensen, a sophomore midfielder and forward, has also started all six games and has an assist and five shots.

As they anticipate another tough match against a strong opponent, Matz is confident that the Minutewomen will not fall victim to any overconfidence gained in their upset win against BU.

“No, I think we ran that out of them on Tuesday,” said Matz. “I told them the story of what happened to me at Northeastern against Maine and you can be sure we cautioned against it. We are treating this week just like last week after the Bryant loss.”

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.