UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

Inconsistency plagues UMass defense

While the Massachusetts men’s soccer team has certainly struggled to score goals early on this season, the defense has also been somewhat inconsistent.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

In the first half in their game against Boston University on Sunday, the Minutemen were solid defensively, aggressively challenging the Terriers’ offensive chances and limiting them to just two shots and two corner kick opportunities.
The second half was an entirely different story.

The Terriers successfully pressured the UMass back line, firing 10 shots, earning six corner kicks, and tallying two goals, which turned out to be the difference as BU spoiled the Minutemen’s home opener.

That second half performance was far from the usual, though. In its previous three games, UMass only surrendered two goals – both on penalty kicks – and were able to spurn a large majority of their opponents’ chances, which represents a clear improvement from giving up seven goals in its first three games of the season.

“We still have things to work on, we’re still not where we need to be,” said UMass coach Sam Koch in an interview last week. “We’re still far from being the best defensive team we can be, but we’re working on it, and I think we’ve got it, and we know what we have to do.”

Wednesday’s matchup may be deceiving, as the Minutemen welcome Hartford to Rudd Field.
Although the Hawks’ record stands at just 1-5-1, they will certainly pose a challenge for the UMass defense, as all of their games have been decided by at least one goal, and they are fresh off the heels of drawing a 0-0 tie with No. 15 Penn State on Sunday.

Young players improving

Entering the 2011 season, the Minutemen knew that the voids left by midfielders Stuart Amick and Ben Arikian would be hard to fill, and seven games into the season, production is now starting to come from the younger players.
On Sunday, freshman defender Matt Keys was not only causing problems in the defensive zone for Terrier forwards, but he also scored his first career goal in the contest, using his size to head home a free kick delivered by defender David Key.

At 6-foot-5, Keys’ height makes him a matchup nightmare for any opponent, and he will certainly be a threat anywhere on the field this year and for years to come.

“He’s been doing a good job for us all year,” said Koch. “He’s been a really nice addition, he’s got a great attitude, and he has a great future here.”

“We’re really pleased we have him, but we’re disappointed we haven’t won more games with him,” Koch added. “He did everything he could [on Sunday] to help us win. We just have to step it up all around him.”
It is a difficult task, as the Minutemen have players all around the pitch seeing increased playing time and roles this season compared to last.
Aside from Keys, forward Josh Schwartz and defenders Jake Murphy and Mike Loughery are among the freshmen seeing a lot of playing time early on this season, and have each shown flashes of their potential.

Additionally, junior midfielder Hellah Sidibe, who started just twice in 2010, has started in every game this season. Although he hasn’t produced any points yet, it’s just a matter of time, as he has created several opportunities playing aggressively from his position.

“I think they’ve done a pretty good job,” said Koch, in reference to his less experienced players. “I think our team is better, even though our record isn’t, our team is better. In the long run, we’re going to be better. Our depth is much better than it was last year. The attitude has been great. I think the future’s good, it’s just [a question of] when the future is going to appear.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu.