Stabbed students expected to survive

Two University of Massachusetts students who were taken to the hospital after being stabbed at a gathering on College Street early Sunday are expected to survive from their injuries, police said yesterday.

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian
Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The two students – a 19-year-old Amherst man and a 22-year-old White Plains, Md. man – were driven to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton with stab wounds shortly after the incident, which occurred a bit after 2 a.m. Sunday, a press release issued by Amherst Police Lt. Ron Young yesterday stated. Police responded to the location – 167 College St. – at 2:26 a.m. Sunday after receiving a report of a fight at the residence.

A third person involved in an altercation at the same location, a 21-year-old Roslindale man, was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield where he remained yesterday, being treated for non-life threatening injuries after being badly beaten, according to the release. That man, police said, is not affiliated with any of the colleges in the surrounding area.

When police arrived at the residence early Sunday, they witnessed 200 to 250 people at the gathering at the residence, the release issued yesterday stated. During a police briefing on Monday, police had estimated that only 150 to 200 people were present at the residence when police arrived.

At Monday’s briefing, it was also stated to the media that the two UMass students received non-life threatening injuries. The release issued yesterday did not make note of the extent of their injuries – it only stated they were expected to survive from them.

The incident, according to yesterday’s release, does still remain under investigation.

–         Collegian News Staff