UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

Minutemen balanced in victories

Controlling the ball breeds success. That’s what the Massachusetts football team is finding out after two games in 2011.

The Minutemen (2-0) have achieved nearly perfect balance on offense this season, effectively rushing and passing the ball. Through two games, UMass has tallied 190 yards-per-game on the ground and 196 yards-per-game through the air.

Senior tailback Jonathan Hernandez has rushed for over 100 yards in both games for a combined 334 yards, and quarterback Kellen Pagel has amassed 363 passing yards. The Minutemen have also totaled 18 first downs on the ground and 20 via the pass.

“That’s our goal every week, to be around the 200 [rushing yards]-200 [passing yards] mark,” UMass coach Kevin Morris said Saturday, following the team’s victory over Rhode Island.

In doing so, the Maroon and White have done an exceptional job controlling the ball. The offense has done so well in fact, that it is now ranked seventh in the nation in time of possession. The balance has allowed the Minutemen total a 70-49 minute advantage over their opponents.

Last weekend against URI, UMass held a 36-23 minute advantage in time of possession, which allowed its offense to control the pace of the game and tire out the Rams defenders.

“We think that’s when we’re at our best,” Morris said. “When we can throw the ball out and around to [Julian] Talley and the rest of the guys and [Pagel] can take the ball and hand it off to Jon. Each guy takes the heat off the other guy.”

By comparison, Boston College (0-3) is quite the opposite. The Eagles have a decidedly pass-oriented attack,, and their ground game has suffered a bit because of it. Of the 44 total first downs this season, BC has 32 through the air and only nine on the ground.

As a result of its unbalanced scheme, BC is trailing its opponents in time of possession. After its first three games, the team is on the wrong side of a 26-34 minutes-per-game possession battle.

The story was the same last weekend against Duke. The Eagles were, in keeping with their season average, out-managed by almost 10 minutes, holding the ball for 24 minutes while the Blue Devils had it for 35 minutes.
Controlling the ball affects scoring too.

Looking at UMass’s victory last weekend, the five touchdowns the team scored came on the drives which lasted the longest. Two drives of four minutes not only both led to touchdowns late in the game, but also put more pressure on the Rams to score in a smaller amount of time.

With BC, the same is true. Eight drives lasted over a minute and a half, and of those eight, four were converted into points, and a fifth could have been if not for a missed field goal. Furthermore, the Eagles’ longest drives of the day – five minutes, 34 seconds and four minutes, 28 seconds – each ended in scoring plays.

When the two teams clash on Saturday at Alumni Stadium, it’s safe to say that whoever controls the ball and the pace of play should have a distinct advantage and a great deal more control over the outcome.

“We want them excited,” Morris said. “We want them to play their best ball in these big venues and they have. Against Michigan last year, and they played well against Kansas State before that. We want them to play and we’re not going to temper it down at all. I think our guys can handle it.”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.