Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Minutemen to play Boston College this weekend

The Massachusetts football team will head to Chestnut Hill on Saturday expecting Boston College’s best game.

The Eagles (0-3, 0-1 ACC) have gotten off to a precarious start, most recently losing at home to Duke, 20-19, in both teams’ conference opener. Prior to the game, Duke had won just two of its previous 11 conference openers.

UMass coach Kevin Morris expects the Eagles to come out strong Saturday.

“They’re not happy about being 0-3,” said Morris. “They’ll certainly be geared up. One thing that’s not going to happen is they’re not going to overlook us. We’re going to get their best game. Records aside, it’s Boston College [and] UMass so everyone’s going to be ready.”

“If they’re going to overlook us, great,” added Morris. “But they’re not going to. I think they’re going to be more than ready for us especially since we made the announcement that we’re going to the FBS.”

The Minutemen (2-0, 0-0 CAA) have been perfect thus far, and will play their first game in an FBS stadium since announcing their entrance into the division last year.

UMass has played well against FBS teams in recent years, most notably last year’s game at Michigan and the game against Kansas State the year before that. Against Michigan, the Minutemen lost, 42-37. It was even closer against Kansas State, when UMass lost, 21-17.

Morris knew how close his team was to winning those games, and he’s confident that his players will go into Boston College with something to prove.

“The [hype] will come more Friday when we get out, get to the hotel and start thinking about playing in an FBS stadium,” said Morris. “There’s nothing to temper. We want [our players] excited, we want them to play their best ball in these big venues and they have against Michigan last year and Kansas State [the year before].”

The last time the state rivals met was Sept. 29, 2007, when the Minutemen fell, 24-14, behind Matt Ryan’s 204 passing yards and a touchdown and Andre Callender’s 115 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

But with Matt Ryan currently enjoying his fourth year as the starting quarterback for the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons and the Eagles struggling to find a win, the 2007 game seems far in the past.

Saturday’s game is a glowing opportunity for the Minutemen to beat an FBS team, something they haven’t done since Sept. 1, 1984 when UMass defeated Ball State, 26-10, at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.

In their two wins in 2011, the Minutemen have used a balanced offense which is averaging around 200 yards on the ground as well as in the air. Leading the way on offense is senior tailback Jonathan Hernandez, who is averaging 159 rushing yards per game.

Morris will continue to lean on his star back. Hernandez has 61 rushing attempts in two games, and Morris believes he can handle the workload.

“He’s a tough guy,” Morris said of Hernandez. “If it takes that to win then we know Jon’s going to handle it and he’ll take us over the top … We talked to him over the course of the game [against Rhode Island] and we took him out for a couple of plays and he didn’t want to come out.”

While Hernandez continues to dominate on the ground, redshirt sophomore quarterback Kellen Pagel is still getting comfortable with the offense. Against Rhode Island on Saturday, Pagel had a shaky first half, but settled in during the second half, completing 11-of-12 passes.

“[Pagel has to work on] everything from his cadence, to getting in and out of the huddle, to reading the defenses, to making the right calls on the line of scrimmage,” said Morris. “We’re taking some baby steps right now but we’re taking a giant step going into this game this weekend.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.