Environmental journalists face challenges under Trump administration -

An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

Past and present UMass football players participate in 2017 Pro Day Thursday -

Pat Kelsey reportedly backs down from UMass men’s basketball coaching position -

Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Minutewomen keeping morale high

Maria Uminski/Collegian

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team heads into Thursday’s match against Brown (4-1-1) on a high note, having just defeated the University of Maine on a late goal.

No matter what kind of note the Minutewomen (4-2-1) end on this week, it could prove to have a significant impact on next week’s start to the Atlantic 10 schedule.

“You want to go into the A-10 season on a positive note and you want to go in hopefully playing the best you could possibly be playing,” UMass coach Ed Matz said. “We’ll use [Brown and Dartmouth] to help us get ready for those.”

Matz said that the win against Maine has propelled them forward because it was an exciting accomplishment that featured a lot of scoring chances for the Minutewomen.

Conversely, the fact that UMass only scored on one of those chances bothered Matz, who is stressing the importance of finishing around the net.

The Minutewomen’s performance and results have not been what they expected coming into the season. In an earlier loss to Bryant University, the Minutewomen fell, 4-1, despite taking 22 shots, again unable to take advantage of many of the opportunities they had. There have also been games when their chances were limited but they managed to come out on top, most notably the upset of then-ranked No. 20 Boston University, who lost despite outshooting the Minutewomen, 22-3.

Although the season got off to a strange start, the Minutewomen have won two games in a row and Matz is optimistic, looking for his team to build on the winning streak in a few different ways.

Matz said that continuing their success would depend on maintaining the solid defensive effort they’ve been putting forth. Also, the many scoring opportunities they’ve been getting cannot be wasted.

What will help further narrow their focus this week is the different set of challenges Brown and Dartmouth possess.

“Each team’s a little bit different,” said Matz. “Brown is very good off of set pieces and generating offense off of those set pieces. We’ll have to be aware of that.”

Another thing that might change for some of the players will be how they deal with some of the travel that will come with playing the conference schedule. The Minutewomen were scheduled several more home games than road games this year, and so far they have not had to travel long distances.

The conference schedule will bring the players to various places, including St. Louis, Charlotte, Washington D.C. and Richmond. Matz said that making sure the players get accustomed to the travel while maintaining schoolwork and other commitments is the only real difference in his approach to coaching this late in the season.

“I’m glad that our last non-A-10 game will be on the road because we need to prove we can win on the road,” said Matz.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.