Luke Pavone jumpstarts UMass men’s soccer’s comeback effort in win over Fairfield -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer earns first win of the season in emotional home opener -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Ed Davis report leaves nobody blameless -

Friday, September 19, 2014

White House starts public awareness drive to prevent sexual attacks on campus -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Field hockey alum talks new defensive approach

The Massachusetts field hockey team’s coach Carla Tagliente has been praised for bringing a new, offensive-minded approach to the UMass field hockey program, but what hasn’t been as publicized is the Minutewomen’s new defensive approach.

Jaime Bourazeris, a 2011 UMass graduate and four-year starter for UMass field hockey, is assisting the team this season. The New Hyde Park, N.Y. native started all 23 games of her senior year, ending her career with 50 points and Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team honors.

Roz Ellis, an assistant coach, has been crucial in mentoring the defense this season. Ellis came over from Wake Forest to help Tagliente in her first head coaching job. Ellis attended Iowa, where she led the Hawkeyes to the 2008 Final Four while gaining NCAA All-Tournament Team honors as a defensive player.

“Roz has a great mind for the game and will be tremendous asset for our defense,” said Tagliente of Ellis.

Bourazeris is working in conjunction with Ellis to implement a three-back defense as opposed to the four-back defense the team was accustomed to under former coach Justine Sowry.

“I think it gives us a little bit more ability to attack and get more numbers up on the field. There are a lot of changes that go into it and I think the girls are adjusting well,” said Bourazeris. “Like anything, it takes time, every game they’re getting better with it.”

With the new defensive approach comes a new mindset, which incorporates an offensive attitude. It gives the defense a chance to push the ball up the field, thus creating more shots and scoring opportunities.

“The biggest key as it is with any defensive structure is to communicate and stay organized,” said Bourazeris.

Although the defense has seen a platoon of starters since the season began, the last couple of games have seen a starting line consisting of freshmen and Seaford, England native Lauren Allymohamed, sophomore Hannah Prince, and redshirt junior Callie Sweigart.

“Even though Callie is a redshirt junior, she has been around the practices and the games, she tactically knows the game and the game plan really well,” said Bourazeris.

“I am just serving the team as an extra set of eyes and ears, helping out wherever I can,” said Bourazeris. “Despite the losses, the outcome with shooting in the past couple of games has been a lot better than earlier in the season and last year for that matter.”

Of course it’s hard to talk about the defense for the Minutewomen without mentioning the 2011 A-10 Student-Athlete of the Year and All-American goalkeeper, senior Alesha Widdall, who saved 97 shots last season en route to eight shutouts. The young defensive line feels comfortable with Widdall minding the net.

Matt Strong can be reached at mstrong@student.umass.edu.