UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass plays Dartmouth Saturday, needs offensive production

After concluding an unsuccessful homestand, the Massachusetts men’s soccer team hits the road again for a battle with New England-foe, Dartmouth.

UMass (1-7-0) will look to snap its four-game losing streak when it plays the Big Green (1-3-2) in Hanover N.H., at 7 p.m. Saturday.

The four-game slide is not the first slump the Minutemen have found themselves in this season, but this one is particularly unsettling for the team considering that Atlantic 10 play begins very shortly.

UMass coach Sam Koch couldn’t pinpoint the exact reason for UMass’ struggles.

“It’s a combination of a lot of different things,” he said.. “Some guys [are] not sure of what their roles are. Some guys [are] playing out of their roles, trying to do more than they need to.”

The glaring problem that the Minutemen face right now is offensive execution.

UMass has two goals in eight games this season, and the offense clearly needs someone to step up, according to Koch, who also said that forward Bryant Craft needs to step up. Craft led the team last year with seven goals.

“He’s in a little bit of a slump,” Koch said about Craft, who has one goal in eight games.

During the losing streak, Craft has attempted 10 shots with a pair on goal.

“He hasn’t created as many opportunities as I think he can and we haven’t been able to help him create those opportunities,” said Koch.

Perhaps one of those teammates will be Brett Canepa, who will return to action against Dartmouth after sitting out versus Hartford for the red card he was issued the previous game.

Offensive production is not the only area on the field that must improve. Leadership and accountability are subtle aspects of the game that the Minutemen currently lack.

“That’s extremely hard to tell a teammate that he’s not doing his job. That’s easy for me to do, but it’s hard for a fellow player to do,” said Koch.

Shane Curran-Hays will likely be the goaltender for the Minutemen come Saturday. Despite his 1-5 record, Curran-Hays has played well in net, registering a 1.12 goals-against-average and .794 save percentage.

Dartmouth enters the match coming off of two losses. Like UMass, the Big Green have packed their non-conference schedule with games against impressive opponents such as Tulsa, Southern Methodist, South Florida, South Carolina and Boston College.

Big Green senior forward Lucky Mkosana has already accumulated three goals and one assist this season, and he’s enjoyed success in all four years of his career at Dartmouth.

In his career, Mkosana has produced gaudy numbers, scoring 64 points and 27 goals.

“He’s a force. He’s someone you have to be aware of. He’s a goal-scorer,” said Koch.

Noah Cohen starts in goal for Dartmouth and bring a 1.55 goals-against average and a .714 save percentage to Saturday’s match.

Last season the teams faced off for the first time since 2007 and played to a 1-1 draw.

“We need a result. We need to play well. We need to feel that the stuff is working,” said Koch.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.