Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray visits UMass Democrats

Lt. Gov. Tim Murray, who is in the state’s No. 2 governing post, doesn’t definitively know yet if he will seek the state’s top gubernatorial spot some day. But, as he said yesterday to a small group of Democrats at the University of Massachusetts, running for governor is not something he would entirely rule out, either.

“When you’re in the second seat you get a good look at the first seat and how things are done,” said Murray in response to a question during a forum at yesterday’s event, which was intended to be a kick-off gathering for college Democrats in the western part of the state. “It’s obviously something I’d have an interest in, but let’s let the 2012 cycle go through.”

Murray, 43, who has served as lieutenant governor since 2007, touched upon issues ranging from transportation and campaigning to immigration and life on the job during his stump at UMass yesterday. The Worcester Democrat also noted that public higher education is a priority of his and Gov. Deval Patrick’s administration.

“When you provide good public education through our colleges,” Murray said, “you’re giving people opportunities.

“These are the kind of things we’ve tried to focus on,” Murray said of his and Patrick’s administration, noting that he feels investing in the state’s schools provides a good return.

The lieutenant governor also said that initiating bridge and infrastructure construction projects and implementing environmental projects are beneficial to the state and help pay for themselves in the long run. He added that both individual and collective actions are important to success in governing the area.

“Both are important,” said Murray. “And I think that’s what we need to press.”

But Murray, the former mayor of Worcester, told the attendees yesterday that a lot is on the line in the upcoming 2012 elections, and implored them to become involved in some way during the election cycle.

“There’s a lot at stake in Massachusetts,” said Murray. “Take advantage of it. It would be a good learning experience.”

He credited technology with helping to galvanize young residents to vote in the 2008 election and propel Barack Obama to the White House. But, he said the victories the Democrats netted in the 2006 midterm elections, and the work done by then-Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, also contributed to the party coming out on top during the 2008 election cycle.

“I think it’s important to remember what happened in 2006,” said Murray, conceding that some of his party’s gains in that and the 2008 election were ultimately upended in the 2010 midterm elections.

Murray also opined on the media – saying that he advocates for news outlets to set aside time during broadcasts to air segments featuring debates and discussion about policy and issues.

And he noted that he feels he and Patrick have been committed to governing the whole Commonwealth – including all of western Massachusetts, which some have contended in years past gets less attention than the eastern part of the state. Since Patrick first campaigned for the governorship, Murray said, he thought of the western vicinity of the state as being a pivotal area to connect with constituents.

“I think the fact that we said that and delivered it is the reason why in this most recent gubernatorial election we did extremely well in this part of the state,” said Murray.

But since he has been on the job, Murray said the most gratifying aspect of his work has been helping the denizens of the state and region through initiatives he has been pushing.

“It’s really just about helping people,” Murray said of the job, adding that he’s been pushing measures to help increase transportation in areas of the state and working to re-vamp how to deal with homelessness issues in the Commonwealth.

Yesterday’s event featuring Murray – who won re-election along with Patrick last year – was organized by the College Democrats of Massachusetts as part of the organization’s yearly “Western Regional Kick-Off” event, according to a press release issued by the organization. Members of the UMass Democrats, the Smith College Democrats and Williams College Democrats were in attendance at the gathering and offered up some questions for Murray and also threw out a few jabs at Republicans.

Also speaking at the event was state Sen. Ben Downing, D-Pittsfield, who spoke about issues taking place on Beacon Hill, in addition to answering the students’ questions about policies and initiatives.

William Perkins can be reached at [email protected].