John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Minutewomen drop three straight against ranked opponents

The Massachusetts field hockey team suffered its third loss in a row against ranked opponents to No. 17 Boston University (5-3) this weekend at Garber Field.

UMass failed to recover from an early Terrier lead off–an unassisted goal by junior forward Tabi Hatch.  With forward Leslie Zules assist, Hatch scored off a corner pass from the left side. The Minutewomen (2-6) had a couple opportunities on the goal but defender Callie Sweigart and forward Nicole Cordero could not connect with the back of the net.

“We were confident but we lost structure throughout the game” said UMass coach Tagliente.

Despite holding the Terriers to a 1-0 lead in the first half, the Minutewomen appeared to be less competitive in the second half. At the 31 minute mark, midfielder Giovanna Monaco scored the second goal of the game with no assistance. With a loose ball in front of the net, Monaco capitalized by connecting on her first attempt on the goal.

Separated by over nine minutes of play, Hatch followed up Monaco’s goal with her second of the night. Coming off a short pass in front of the net by midfielder Kat Spring, Hatch connected again for her second on the game and her fourth for the season.

“We stopped playing after BU scored the first goal,” said Tagliente.

Goalkeeper Jess Maroney, who shut out the Minutewomen by collecting six saves, anchored the Terriers suffocating defense. UMass was held to 12 shots for the game and five in the second half.

UMass goalkeeper Alesha Widdall collected eight saves on the night but found it difficult to keep with the second and third chance opportunities that the Terriers were getting.

“Alesha [Widdall] did a good job making first chance saves,” said Tagliente “but we need to start creating more opportunities for ourselves.”

It was a disappointing loss for the Minutewomen as they were unable collect a win in their last three games against ranked opponents and it was the first of which they were shutout.

“This was the first game where I didn’t see improvement” said Tagliente. “But it does prepare us for what’s to come.”

The Minutewoman face No. 4 Connecticut and No. 5 Syracuse in their next two games, which would make a five-game stretch against ranked opponents. UMass looks to use this stretch to its advantage by using it as a learning experience to prepare for Atlantic 10 play.

“Before we prepare for these upcoming games, we need to do some soul-searching” said Tagliente. “It’s the first game where I did not see improvement with our players.”

UMass hopes to overcome its struggles these last few games as it heads to Storrs, Conn. to take on the resilient Huskies this Wednesday night.

De’Shawn Townsend can be reached at dtownsen@student.umass.edu.