UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tanya’s top picks of the week

Courtesy of Amazon

1. I Don’t Want To Know—Fleetwood Mac—Rumours
So, I know a lot of our parents listen to Fleetwood Mac. I understand that they’re old and not necessarily as known as other older bands. But it’s probably because you have never listened to them. My mom has always been a fan of the Rumours album, which is also their most popular. If you have heard of any album of theirs, then this is the one. My mom gave me this album to put on my iPod right before I left for school this year, and I finally got around to listening to it in depth this week. I kept noticing that “I Don’t Want To Know” was continually getting stuck in my head, and with good reason. The lyrics are relateable to plenty of relationship issues. Though the song is about the relationship between two of the band members, I’m still able to match them up to past relationship experiences of my own. This song just sounds great, too and puts me in a better mood. I definitely endorse discovery of both this song and Fleetwood Mac in general.

2. Lounge Act—Nirvana—Nevermind
I’m not sure where to start with Nirvana. Obviously, we all wish we could’ve heard more from them. I decided to learn about Nirvana after seeing them on VH1’s list of the top 100 music artists of all time. I downloaded Nevermind at VH1’s recommendation. By now, I love every song on that album as well as Nirvana’s sound in general. I found that random verses of “Lounge Act” kept replaying in my mind. The lyrics can be left up to many interpretations, especially seeing as Kurt Cobain had a lot going on in his head. This song is a solid representation of Nirvana’s sound, and if you’re not a fan yet, I highly advise becoming one as soon as possible.

3. Yellow—Coldplay—Parachutes
Coldplay is great for the type of day where you don’t feel up for doing much and just want to listen to relaxing songs. I saw “Yellow” was on sale for $.69 on iTunes last week, and it wasn’t already on my iPod, so I decided to buy it. After listening to it a few times, I came to realize two things: the first being why this song made Coldplay popular in the first place, and second that it was a fantastic bargain purchase. With a pleasant sound and feel-good lyrics, you can’t really go wrong with this song.

Tanya Tanz can be reached for comment at ttanz@student.umass.edu