Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Tanya’s top picks of the week

Courtesy of Amazon

1. I Don’t Want To Know—Fleetwood Mac—Rumours
So, I know a lot of our parents listen to Fleetwood Mac. I understand that they’re old and not necessarily as known as other older bands. But it’s probably because you have never listened to them. My mom has always been a fan of the Rumours album, which is also their most popular. If you have heard of any album of theirs, then this is the one. My mom gave me this album to put on my iPod right before I left for school this year, and I finally got around to listening to it in depth this week. I kept noticing that “I Don’t Want To Know” was continually getting stuck in my head, and with good reason. The lyrics are relateable to plenty of relationship issues. Though the song is about the relationship between two of the band members, I’m still able to match them up to past relationship experiences of my own. This song just sounds great, too and puts me in a better mood. I definitely endorse discovery of both this song and Fleetwood Mac in general.

2. Lounge Act—Nirvana—Nevermind
I’m not sure where to start with Nirvana. Obviously, we all wish we could’ve heard more from them. I decided to learn about Nirvana after seeing them on VH1’s list of the top 100 music artists of all time. I downloaded Nevermind at VH1’s recommendation. By now, I love every song on that album as well as Nirvana’s sound in general. I found that random verses of “Lounge Act” kept replaying in my mind. The lyrics can be left up to many interpretations, especially seeing as Kurt Cobain had a lot going on in his head. This song is a solid representation of Nirvana’s sound, and if you’re not a fan yet, I highly advise becoming one as soon as possible.

3. Yellow—Coldplay—Parachutes
Coldplay is great for the type of day where you don’t feel up for doing much and just want to listen to relaxing songs. I saw “Yellow” was on sale for $.69 on iTunes last week, and it wasn’t already on my iPod, so I decided to buy it. After listening to it a few times, I came to realize two things: the first being why this song made Coldplay popular in the first place, and second that it was a fantastic bargain purchase. With a pleasant sound and feel-good lyrics, you can’t really go wrong with this song.

Tanya Tanz can be reached for comment at ttanz@student.umass.edu