UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Minutewomen notch 4th straight 1-0 victory

In its first road game in almost three weeks and the last non-conference test of the season, the Massachusetts women’s soccer team (6-2-1) pulled out their fourth straight 1-0 victory, this time defeating Dartmouth (2-7-0) on Tuesday night.

The win marks the Minutewomen’s 17th in 22 chances over the Big Green, the last one being in 2007.

Senior Julie Morrissey got the Minutewomen out to an early lead when Dartmouth turned the ball over in UMass’ defensive zone just twenty seconds into the game. The goal was her team-leading fourth of the season. It was Morrissey’s first goal since she had two in a 2-1 win over Elon on Sept. 2. The goal also helped Morrissey exceed both her goal and point totals from last year when she was playing for Cincinnati.

Shortly after Morrissey’s tiebreaker, the first of many corner kicks by Dartmouth’s sophomore defender Kelly Brait came up short, ending in a foul on the Big Green.

UMass and Dartmouth would trade chances for the rest of the first half. The Big Green had a few more opportunities on corner kicks by Brait and UMass had one shot go wide off the foot of Moa Mattson. She was looking for her second goal of the season after getting her first in a last minute victory over Maine last week.

Having trouble putting the ball in the back of the net has been an all too familiar problem for the Big Green this season. In nine games Dartmouth has only managed to score four goals, two of which have come off the foot of highly touted freshman Tasha Wilkins.

Wilkins, a product of Jesuit High School in Beaverton, Ore. – a powerhouse in high school soccer – was named the Oregonian Class 6A State Player of the Year after scoring 22 goals her senior season. She also won two state championships in her time at Jesuit. Unfortunately for the Big Green, Wilkins hasn’t been the complete cure for its offensive woes.

It was more of the same for Dartmouth in the second half, as UMass goalkeeper Emily Cota turned away any chance the Big Green may have had during the game. They aren’t the first to struggle putting the ball in the net when facing UMass, as the Minutewomen defense and goalkeeping have completed four shutouts in a row, all with Cota in net.

Not too much changed in the second half for the Minutewomen either, as Morrissey continued to pepper the Dartmouth goalkeeper with shots. One of them went wide, while the other two were saved and blocked. Mattson and Deanna Colarossi also had chances that either sailed high or wide of the goal.

The UMass defense and Cota continued to stymie the Dartmouth offense through the rest of the game, as Cota saved and blocked a pair of shots by senior Ally Dutton and sophomore Marina Moschitto, respectively.

Cota would finish the game with four saves on five shots on goal, the other shot being blocked by several team defenders. The Minutewomen were outshot by the Big Green , 9-7.

Coming into the game Cota ranked second in the Atlantic 10 in goals-against average, second in shutouts per game and third in save percentage.

This is the sixth time that the Big Green has been shut out in a game this season. Up until Tuesday night’s game, opponents had outscored Dartmouth, 12-4, and outshot them, 118-70.

The Minutewomen will now have to get ready for their conference schedule. Their first challenge will come next Saturday afternoon at Rudd Field against Rhode Island (5-3-1). After that, UMass will hit the road, travelling a longer distance for the first time with games against Charlotte (3-5-3) and St. Louis (2-5-2).

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.