Letters to the editor

Dear Editor,

I was disappointed to read a column titled “Big food cooks up big publicity” by Isaac Himmelman on Sept. 14, 2011 – that it was the wrong thing to do to by createing “the world’’s largest stir-fry.”

Perhaps Mr. Himmelman does not realize that we need to have some fun and excitement during First Week and one great way is to cross barriers through the common uniting element of “food”. Preparing 4,000 lbs of food to feed our students could have been done using many woks and frying pans and simpley cooking in the DCs, but it was a lot more fun when the chefs, and student volunteers cooked together in front of everyone, with nature as the backdrop alongside the Welcome Back BBQ hosted by the Center for Student Development. All the costs of the record-breaking event were covered by our sponsors and not only was the food served on site immediately, but also at all four DC’’s later on, ensuring nothing went to waste. Did I mention how delicious the food tasted, thanks in part to all the great local ingredients?.

You might not know that stir-fry is one of the most popular foods at the Dining Commons. Not only is it healthy fare, but it embraced sustainability. All the vegetables for our event came from local sources including our own student-run farms, the UMass permaculture garden and other local farms.

We are aware and sympathize with the fact that the Horn of Africa is currently experiencing famine, and we certainly do not take food for granted. UMass Dining tries to help our neighbors in need with the support of the UMass students who play an active role in raising money for the Amherst Survival Center, during the Spring 5k Dash & Dine event annually.

Many students that I talked to loved the stir-fry event and it will surely be remembered fondly by all those in attendance. It proved to be a great way to build community, by including faculty, administrators, staff, local volunteers and students. , like yourself. We are grateful that everyone came together to make it happen and that even the weather cooperated.

The national and international news coverage that UMass received for its record-breaking event,event put this great university in the spotlight. With so many negative events in the news these days, it is nice to bring a smile to the faces of our community others. In fact, one of my peers in Canada saw the news and his son wanted to apply to UMass next year. I did not anticipate the effect in recruiting future students but who knows – what we serve on the plates of UMass students definitely influences decisions.

Let’’s work together to build our great university community, one meal at a time.

Sincerely,

Ken Toong

Executive Director

Auxiliary Enterprises

UMass Amherst

Dear Editor,

As a liberal, middle-class American I can empathize with Collegian writerthe article Christopher Dunay’s “It’s time for middle class America to throw in the towel” published on Monday, Sept. 26 by Christopher Dunay The author makes assertions that we should throw in the towel and concede to the conservatives, the ignorant, and the religious fundamentalists of this country.

As a senior, instead of feeling like I will have a world of possibilities open to me when I graduate in May, I feel exhausted when I think about life in the “real world.” Even if President Obama calls for the wealthiest Americans to pay higher taxes, that won’’t get me an assurance of a stable life. So it is easy to want to give up.

However, I think Dunay needs to review his American history – – particularly that which is often glossed over in textbooks and introductory history courses. Over the summer I read “A People’’s History of the United States” by Howard Zinn. In it I discovered how little politics has actually helped the people of this country – – even when we are taught that it has. But I was reminded of how the people of America have fought to help themselves – – through protests, labor strikes and social movements.

Even if times seem tough right now, we need to put things in perspective. This isn’’t the worst that life in this country has ever been. In the past, people have fought, even when faced with grinding poverty, unsafe labor conditions, no health care or education to better their situations. And the same ignorance, racism, religious fundamentalism and corporate greed still existed back in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries as it does today.

As middle-class Americans we are tired. But we are never too weak to stand up for what we want – – we just need to get out and do it. People like Dunay just need to have a little faith.

Sincerely,

Sarah Hardy

To the Editor,

For the 11th time, I have had to call the Amherst Public Works Department to repair the vandalized street sign on the corner of Berkshire Terrace and N. Pleasant Street. While I have no proof, I suspect the damage was done by partying UMass students. While I appreciate the need for students to have an outlet for their energies and emotions, I ask that this be done with some responsibility for the consequences. The action leads to problems for visitors trying to find their way and leads to considerable cost to the town for repair. This cost is borne by the citizens, many of whom are University students. There is rightful concern about the increased cost of higher education. Such actions add to these costs and they must be paid by someone. In addition, they do not help with the public image of University students, leading to criticism of appropriations.

I believe that realizing the consequences of actions is an important part of the educational experience and prepares one for life’’s experiences. This is an important mission of higher education.

Richard S. (Dick) Stein

Goessmann Professor of Chemistry, Emeritus

University of Massachusetts, Amherst

e-mail:

Home Phone: 413-549-0245 (Leave message on Voice Mail)