Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutemen face another test in Old Dominion

After falling to Boston College, 45-17, last week, the Massachusetts football team is trying to leave its problems in the past as it takes on Old Dominion in its second Colonial Athletic Association game of the season.

The Minutemen (2-1, 1-0 CAA), are coming off a game where turnovers and big plays made the difference in the final score, as BC was able to move the ball without much difficulty against the UMass defense.

When quarterback Kellen Pagel threw an interception on the first play from scrimmage, it marked the beginning of a long afternoon for the Minutemen. He finished the day 18-of-37 for 195 yards and three costly turnovers.

UMass head coach Kevin Morris said that while he knows his team didn’t play up to the caliber it can, he wasn’t going to make too much out of the two interceptions Pagel threw.

“Both those throws, Kellen will tell you, were just bad throws,” said Morris. “On one he tried to force the ball in and get it by a guy and it didn’t get by him, and the other one was a little off-target and the safety made a nice play on it.”

Regardless of when they happened, one thing that Morris stressed was that turning the ball over four times is no way to win a game.

“We talk about ball security all the time,” said Morris. “Everyone [turns the ball over] and certainly we do as well. Unfortunately, [Kellen’s first one] was the first play of the ballgame so it put us in a hole right away.”

The Monarchs lost a week ago as well, but in a more dramatic fashion.

Riding an eight-game win streak dating back to last year, ODU (3-1, 0-1 CAA) was handed its first loss of the season by conference rival Delaware on Saturday.

Trailing by a touchdown with under 10 minutes left to play in the fourth quarter, the Monarchs had the ball and moved the chains on two occasions, but were unable to penetrate into Blue Hen territory as their comeback fell short.

The team is averaging almost 36 points-per-game and allowing just 25 as well as over 400 yards-per-game on the offensive attack. Such a high-flying attack will challenge UMass’ depleted secondary.

The Minutemen lost a few players to injury during last weekend’s game at BC, but Morris said there are already plans in place to plug the holes that need to be filled on defense.

“We’ve had a number of guys who have been playing already,” said Morris. “We’ve had kind of a three-way rotation at safety with Christian Birt and then at cornerback, [Antoine] Tharpe missed a game and now we’re excited to get him back. Kirk Nelms has stepped up and you saw him have a great game against Rhode Island.”

Old Dominion has also forced seven fumbles, four interceptions and sacked the opposing quarterback 12 times in four games. Early on in his career, Pagel will be tested early and often against a defense which is only giving up four-yards-per-play.

It’s family weekend and “blackout weekend” as well, so expect the S.B. Ballard Stadium to be full and loud.

“They’re really playing aggressively, and they’re really talented [on the defensive line],” said Morris. “Also, their linebackers are very solid and they’re very talented in the [secondary] as well. So, defensively you’ve got a lot going on.”

Make no mistake, the Minutemen are confident that they can go into ODU and come out with a victory, and if Morris is correct, the loss against BC last weekend only helped his team focus and get ready for the week ahead.

“We’re looking to play with a good swagger going into Old Dominion and we’re not going to let [the loss against BC] hang over us like a black cloud,” said Morris. “We’ve just got to get in, work on it and get better.”

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutemen face another test in Old Dominion”
  1. ODU4Life says:

Can’t wait to whoop up on you minutemaids in Norfolk on Saturday. We are going to embarrass you.