SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Minutemen to play in Catamount Classic Lacrosse for a cure

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team will be taking the field to battle a different kind of opponent this weekend.

This Sunday, the Minutemen will be one of 16 New England-area lacrosse teams – eight men’s teams, eight women’s teams – to take part in the “2011 Catamount Classic – Lacrosse for a Cure,” an annual event at Thayer Academy in Milton, Mass. that raises money to support genitourinary and women’s cancer research and care at Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

“I’m very honored to be a part of it,” said UMass coach Greg Cannella. “I’ve been a part of it since the start of it. They raise a ton of money for cancer research, and it’s awesome for our guys to be able to be a part of that and help contribute to that cause.”

This year’s Classic will be the fourth annual tournament of its type, dating back to its inception in 2008, when Ryan Curtis, the men’s lacrosse coach at the University of Vermont, and his wife Kelly got it started.

Curtis, who previously lived in Boston before taking the coaching job at UVM, worked at the Dana-Farber CancerInstitute in Boston in which he studied genitourinary oncology. Combining his love for lacrosse with his passion for cancer research, Curtis and his wife have found a way to raise awareness to a widespread issue.

Together, the couple has raised over $100,000 in their three years running the event – including $36,000 to support testicular cancer research during last year’s event – and has made the Catamount Classic one of the premier fall lacrosse events in New England, with the collection of some of the area’s finest teams facing off in a tournament.

“I think it started because he had an athlete who had testicular cancer,” said Cannella regarding how Curtis was inspired to start this event. “And he wanted to start a tournament that would fundraise [for] his medical bills, but I think it turned into something much greater.”

And while Cannella and his Minutemen undoubtedly support the cause, he also sees the event as an opportunity to get some early work started on his team’s chemistry and on how the team looks for the upcoming spring season.

“We only typically have about one or two contests in the fall, so they’ll be pretty fired up for this,” said Cannella. “And obviously for the cause, it’s fantastic.”

“There’s nothing friendly about these types of games,” added Cannella. “In the fall, we’re trying to figure out who on our roster can play for us in the spring. We try to figure out midfield lines, who can play for us defensively and who can play for us on attack, so you prepare, it’s like a secondary season.”

According to the event’s website, the men’s teams will begin playing at 1 p.m., and each team will play two full-length games, with 15-minute running quarters, while the women’s teams will play three games with 20-minute running halves starting at 8 a.m.

The participating men’s teams include, in addition to UMass, UVM, Bryant University, Providence College, College of Holy Cross, Brown University, University of Hartford and Sacred Heart University. In the women’s division, the teams include UVM, University of Connecticut, Bryant University, Siena College, College of Holy Cross, Brown University, Boston University and Iona College.

All proceeds from this year’s event will support both genitourinary and women’s cancers research and care, according to a press release.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.