Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

UMass student Robert Clifford dies in car accident

Courtesy James Coletta facebook.com/ JamesColettaPhotography

A 25-year-old University of Massachusetts student was killed yesterday after sustaining injuries in a car accident, officials said.

Robert Clifford, an Amherst resident who was studying Plant, Soil and Insect Sciences at UMass, died after being involved in the accident, which occurred early yesterday, according to a statement issued by University spokesman Ed Blaguszewski to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian last night.

The statement does not give any further details on the accident or its cause, but according to The Day newspaper, the wreck occurred in the early hours of the morning yesterday on Interstate 95 in East Lyme, Conn. when the car Clifford was traveling in hit a tractor-trailer truck, stationed in the breakdown lane, According to Chris Omasta, the president of the Alpha Tau Gamma fraternity at UMass – which Clifford was a member of – the accident occurred when the driver of the vehicle, who he said was a friend of Clifford, fell asleep at the wheel.

Clifford was pronounced dead yesterday afternoon at the Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London, Conn., The Day reported. The driver of the vehicle, whom the newspaper identified as 19-year-old Seymour, Conn. resident Lisa Grzywacz, was also taken to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital and was released yesterday afternoon, the paper reported.

Prior to initiating his studies in Plant, Soil and Insect Sciences, Clifford obtained an associate’s degree in fruit and vegetable crops from the Stockbridge School at UMass, where he graduated from last year, according to the statement issued by Blaguszewski.

And in addition to being a member of the Alpha Tau Gamma fraternity, Clifford was also very active in the UMass EDMC – a group that promotes and organizes electronic dance gatherings – according to Omasta.

“All in all, he was an awesome person,” Omasta said of Clifford in a phone interview with the Collegian last night, adding that Clifford had served as the vice president of the fraternity last school year. “He was a big part of EDMC.”

“He was an absolutely excellent student,” added Omasta of Clifford, who he noted was an honors student at UMass.

Members of the fraternity, Omasta said, were to hold a candlelight vigil in honor of Clifford outside of their house at 9 last night.

– Collegian News Staff