2 AIC students ID’d in assault probe

The University of Massachusetts Police Department has identified two American International College students who were  allegedly responsible for the attacks against five UMass students in the early morning hours on Sept. 25, according to an article in the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

While six men are associated with the assaults, only two have been charged. Darion D. Chappel, 18, of New York, N.Y., was charged with aggravated assault and battery and an 18-year-old Springfield man was summoned to court with charges if simple assault and battery, according to the Gazette article.

The assaults left one student unconscious and four other students with minor injuries.

About 1:15 a.m., the police started to receive reports of attacks, said UMass Deputy Police Chief Patrick Archbald to the Gazette.

The first attack happened on Hicks Way just east of Garber Field when two UMass students were allegedly approached by a group of men. After confirming that they were UMass students, both victims were punched in the head and face and an earring was pulled out of a victim’s ear, according to the Gazette article.  The victims were treated at the scene. Both were able to describe the clothing of their attackers.

At 1:38 a.m., police learned of a similar assault on Sunset Avenue where the victim was rendered unconscious after being punched in the back of the head, the Gazette article stated. He was taken to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton for treatment.

At 1:45 a.m., police were informed of two more people who had been punched by the same group of men.

According to the Gazette article, the reason for the alleged attacks is unknown.  The six students from AIC had been at a dance at the Curry Hicks Cage, which had ended early because of a fire alarm.

UMass officials are working with AIC officials so that disciplinary action can be pursued, the Gazette article stated.

— Collegian News Staff