Fall Fashion Trends

A new season means new clothing. With the beginning of fall, comes the reintroduction of boots, jackets, and sweaters with a whole new twist for 2011. As New York’s Fashion Week just wrapped up, this year’s fall trends are beginning to hit the stores and even around campus! Here are just a few of the runway looks that trickled down to some stores near you and are sure to be popping up a lot this fall.

Courtesy of Free People

Polka Dots
Although it may seem a bit childish, polka dots are a fun and fresh way to welcome the Fall. Following the mod trend that seems to be big this year, incorporating one piece is sure to bring some flair to your outfit. Try a sheer blouse like this one from Free People.
Color Blocking
Color Blocking is huge this Fall. If you decide to either wear one piece or mix and match different colors by using a skirt and top, you’ll definitely be making a bold statement. I love this look because it can either be dressed up or down.

Cape Coat
Although the cape coat didn’t dominate the runways this season, it made a big enough impression to be very popular in stores. Instead of sporting the excepted pea coat, try this unique look. Modcloth has a wide selection of Capes as well as a variety of styles to choose from.

Loose Knitted Sweaters
Spilling over from the Spring runways, these loose knit sweaters are now back for the fall in dulled and cool colors. The loose crotched look allows for a little skin to show and is a very versatile staple for your fall wardrobe.

Courtesy of ScottsdaleFashionista.com

Chunky Heeled Boots
With wedges being big in the Spring/Summer, it’s only appropriate that the trend transcended into the autumn season and has been incorporated into boots. Lucky Brand has taken note of this new trend and introduced several pairs of boots with this lovely heel. I’m adding these to my wish list.

Velvet
Velvet has been seen on the runway of a handful of designers this season and is definitely one of this Fall’s biggest trends. American Apparel has a huge selection of velvet including dresses, crop tops, even body suites!

Flared Pants
Following with the 70’s trend, these pants are a sure way to turn heads. Last season was all about the flared denim, now bold colors are in. Forever 21 has a great pair of cheap red flares.

Courtesy of Target

Animal Print Accents
Too much animal print, specifically cheetah, is a bit overwhelming for me. Instead of seeing entire outfits consisting of the print, minor accents have been doing the trick. Many runway shows are adding a pop of cheetah to their look using shoes or a handbag. This small addition can spice up any outfit!

Loafer Pumps
The traditional men’s shoe is getting a makeover this Fall. The loafer has new look: with a pump! There are so many adorable variations of the shoe that it is hard to pick just one recommendation.
Pleated Skirts
Maxi skirts were all the rage this summer and now, pleated skirts are having a come back. But instead of the jewel and neon color tones that dominated runways last season, try a neutral color for the Fall.

Kim Giordano can be reached for comment at [email protected].