“Elsword,” Gaming at its Worst

Courtesy of Reggie Kwok

My frustration ignites when I cannot figure out how to defend myself.

“Elsword” is a 2D action MMORPG developed by KOG, and published by Kill3r Combo.
The first screen after the log in screen is a brightly colored server screen. The game starts with choosing one of four characters: Elsword, Raven, Aisha, and Rena. Both Elsword and Raven are melee characters. Elsword has the ability to erupt flames from his blade, which does critical damage. Raven has a sword and a Nasod arm, which isused to fire cannons. Aisha wields a rod that casts fire and lightning. Rena carries a bow with arrows that go through more than one enemy. After the player picks a character, there is a quick tutorial consisting of easy mobs and understandable controls. Thegame begins in Ruben Village.
The game consists of mashing buttons without contesting mobs. The creators could, at the very least, make the bosses more interesting and less repetitive. I do not want to fight different forms of Banthus three times in a row. Button mashing during PVE is a problem, because the combat becomes boring. I tried pressing z and x for one hour straight, and it is not fun. The fun only lasts for a good five minutes, where the player does not even know what the move is. The game repeats its stages until the players are exhausted.
The most critical pet peeve is the poorly designed defensive system of the game. The only defensive maneuver for melee characters is Elsword’s counterattack skill, which is tough to pull off against monsters, because they rarely attack and hit. Aisha and Rena have some dodging abilities, but the movement feels awkward to control. Otherwise, the only other defensive moves are moving backwards and jumping, which does not help the characters move through the stage.
The graphics flaunts a comic book art style, something like Viewtiful Joe, only brighter colors. When the characters use their skills, comic panels surround the character screen. The panels surround the character in order capture the moment of that particular skill. The character’s costumes are centered on one color. For example, Elsword has red clothing, a red sword, and red hair. The creatures have fascinating designs as well. The ancient phoru’s contrast of white and dark purple represents the balance of good and evil in the world.The graphics are emphasized to hide the game play flaws.
The ultimate reason why players play video games is for the game play, not the graphics.
Reggie Kwok can be reached at [email protected].