UMass women’s soccer earns double overtime draw against Central Connecticut -

Friday, September 4, 2015

Offensive struggles continue for UMass men’s soccer team in loss to Columbia -

Friday, September 4, 2015

UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Some UMass students take alternative routes to school

Editors note: This is the second in a two-part series about UMass students taking a gap year as an alternative to school.

Courtesy Seth Engelbourg

Courtesy Seth Engelbourg

There is an alternative approach to heading straight into four more years of college.

Seth Engelbourg, a freshman from Sharon, and Sam Dilthey, a freshman political science major from North Adams, immersed themselves in other cultures and gained work experience as part of their first year out of high school.

Engelbourg spent the next year after graduating high school learning about his religion’s history and homeland. From August 2010 until June 2011, he explored Israel as a part of the Young Judaea Year Course.

For the first three months of his trip, he stayed in Bat Yam in Tel Aviv taking classes, going on field trips and working on an organic community farm. He worked on the farm in an effort to promote the natural environment in a predominantly industrial area. On the farm, he planted citrus trees, onions and peppers.

Engelbourg experienced a new way of living on his trip. For part of the trip, he lived in a kibbutz in Ketura. A kibbutz, he explained, is a commune type settlement that dates back to the early 1900s. He said they shared economic and social resources, and that it somewhat resembled a socialistic society.

Dilthey ventured to a small town near Cabaret, Haiti to do humanitarian work building a foundation for a sowing center to help boost the local economy. He also worked at a summer camp for kids doing arts and crafts, playing music and soccer.

He helped ease the erosion problem along the roads from Cabaret to Desab by planting grass to hold down the soil.

Dilthey said he noticed Haiti wasn’t as violent as the news portrayed it and learned there weren’t as many age barriers as there are in the U.S.

Engelbourg also spoke about the lack of age barriers in the kibbutz. He said he was doing the job of a typical American 40-year-old as an 18-year-old.

Both Engelbourg and Dilthey got new work experience during their gap years. Engelbourg worked as a construction worker installing sinks and toilets in the kibbutz and Dilthey worked for FastCAP in Sharon as a lab assistant growing carbon nanotubes for capacitors.

Dilthey said he helped work on capacitors that he said are typically used in electric cars.

“It’s so cutting edge and it’s the future of energy storage,” he said. He also predicted these types of capacitors could replace all batteries in the next 10 to 15 years.

Engelbourg conquered a three-week hiking trip along the southern part of the Israeli National Trail.

Engelbourg said the hike made him feel “connected to nature.”

At the end of the hike, Engelbourg and the group stopped on a hilltop overlooking a breathtaking view the city of Eilat, the southernmost tip of Israel, and the surrounding beaches.

Over winter break, Engelbourg took a five-week scuba diving class scouring the bottom of the Red Sea, finding fish and remnants of shipwrecks.

Both students got experience working for a non-profit organization and learned about social issues affecting different types of people.

Engelbourg lived in Jerusalem during the final part of his trip where he took classes daily and volunteered at a center for the homeless or disabled elderly called Yad LaKashish. At the center, he helped the elderly learn how to make crafts as part of their employment. He said the average age was 80 years old and 75 percent spoke Russian, 10 percent Hebrew and the remainder French, Spanish and English. Engelbourg learned a lot about language barriers and cultural gaps because it was his job to connect the different members of the center and help them understand how to do their jobs, he said.

Dilthey was an intern at a non-profit consortium on gender security and human rights. He helped with research on women in war as participators rather than victims. He said the importance of the research was because he thought policy makers often see women and children as victims of war and not as participators with specific needs in the reconstruction process. Part of this work was to inform policy makers about the needs of women in children as part of wars and to include them in rebuilding and reconstruction after war.

He said he discovered there are women in the militia from all over the world from his work at the non-profit organization.

Engelbourg studied the Jewish culture and religion’s comparisons to that of Islamic and Christian cultures. He said he learned to see from the other religions’ perspectives when he learned about their history and traveled to their holy lands.

Nancy Pierce can be reached at npierce@student.umass.edu.