Atlantic 10 boasts strong individual performances last week

Geoff King/Collegian

Richmond forward Katelin Peterson had a career day on Sunday as she moved up the Spiders’ all-time scoring lists with a goal and an assist during Richmond’s 2-0 win over Lock Haven at Crenshaw Field.

Peterson, who hails from Escondido, Calif., started in all 18 games last season and has assumed her starting role again this season.

Peterson has amassed 39 goals throughout her career, good for fifth place on Richmond’s all-time goals list. Her assist was her 23rd and moved her into a tie for fifth with Shannon Taylor and Megan on Richmond’s all-time assists list.

For Hollis, the goal was her second of the season.

The Spiders’ goalkeeper, sophomore Anna Zarkoski, made one save during the game for her second shutout of the season.

Richmond will play at St. Joseph’s Friday and host Radford in a non-conference game Sunday.

Settles and Shaffer earn weekly honors

Temple’s Bridget Settles earned Atlantic 10 Field Hockey Player of the Week honors after helping her team guard its undefeated title in the A-10 this weekend. She scored the game-winning goal on a penalty stroke two minutes and 39 seconds into overtime on Sunday, giving the Owls a 2-1 win over La Salle.

The senior co-captain from Haddon Township, N.J. leads Temple with 14 goals and has successfully scored on all three of her penalty strokes this season. With 39 career goals, Settles ranks sixth all-time at Temple in scoring.

Redshirt freshman Lisa Shaffer of the La Salle University Explorers was name Atlantic 10 Rookie of the week for her impressive .900 save percentage after stopping 18 of 20 shots made on goal this week-end. The goalie only allowed one goal in during 10-on-10 play against Temple before Settles scored the second goal in overtime this past Sunday.

Shaffer continues to impress fans after extending her shutout streak to 181 minutes. The goalie is nationally ranked in saves and save pct.

Doyle Plays Hero for the Hawks

For the first time since 2007, the St. Joseph Hawks defeated rival Villanova Wildcats. Senior Therese Doyle scored the game-winning goal with six minutes left in overtime, giving the Hawks a 3-2 victory.

The Hawks were given a 1-0 lead after Doyle also assisted senior Theresa Testa on a goal midway through the first half.

The Wildcats tied the game nine minutes and 28 seconds into the second half, when Amy Jackson scored. With just a few seconds remaining in the game, Olivia Maggitti put the Wildcats on top with a goal of her own.

However, Saint Joseph’s was awarded a penalty corner, and Testa succeeded in netting the ball past Villanova goalkeeper Megan Goelz to tie the game at two. Doyle then won the game for the Hawks in overtime.

Solange Elkallassi can be reached at [email protected].