Lotus to concoct sensory spectacle at Calvin Theatre

This Friday, the Calvin Theatre in Northampton will be hosting the band Lotus for an 8 p.m. concert.

Facebook
Facebook

Lotus has earned serious recognition for being one of the leading jam bands to come through the area, with an impressive discography and an increasingly large fan base. The band has been known to fuse traditional rock styles with contemporary electronic influences and almost every imaginable genre in between.

Lotus is currently touring to promote its latest self-titled release, and to demonstrate the development and progress the band has made as a group. The new album has been said to lean more towards the electronic side, while still rooting its foundation in the improvisational potential of live music.

The band’s live performances have been known to elaborate on its studio material, and its addictive rhythm throughout every jam keeps the audience dancing. The group uses a combination of live instruments, such as guitar, live drums and bass, along with elaborate keyboard work to make a sound that has something for everybody. Even the recorded works of Lotus have evolved quite dramatically throughout the band’s tenure.  Due to the fact that the new album is self-titled, it is safe to say that the band has reached a new level of confidence with its work.

The experience of Lotus live is designed for sensory overload. While driving percussion combines with dazzling light shows to give an almost club-like atmosphere, the rock elements of the performance add an improvisational creativity similar to that of the Grateful Dead or the Allman Brothers. This unique collaboration of musicians is a spectacle that has rapidly grown in popularity, and the band has toured through legendary venues such as Bonnaroo, Rothbury, All Good and Nateva. The group has now returned to the Northampton area, with opening acts Sojourner and Keys N Krates at Friday’s performance. The venue is seated, but without a doubt people will be at least standing for the performance if not rushing to the front of the stage to dance furiously.

The band’s reputation has elevated the group to a level synonymous with major jam bands of today, and would be a must see for anyone who associates their taste in music with the likes of Umphrey’s McGee, Sound Tribe Sector 9 or even Dark Star Orchestra.

The show is sure to progress through a multitude of genres, and  keep audience members dancing throughout the performance. With the band’s past discography, there’s no way to tell what Lotus will play in addition to its new work. Each album has had a different tone and atmosphere, and during a live performance, the band is sure to take its musical ideas for a wild ride, as it experiments with improvisation.

Lotus has tailored its performance to maintain a high energy level while also stressing diversity and originality. No matter what sound one is looking for – if one doesn’t mind moving his or her body while he or she listens to it – Lotus is sure to impress. With every performance, this group continues to define itself, so Friday night’s show is certain to be another leg in its journey as the band Lotus.

David Kincaid can be reached at [email protected].