Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Minutemen need to convert in red zone to win against Spiders

Samantha Webber/Collegian

The Massachusetts football team would like to forget about its inconsistent play during its six-point loss to New Hampshire last weekend at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass.

To do that, the Minutemen will need to improve all aspects of their game when they take on No. 21 Richmond Saturday at Robins Stadium.

“We were in it the whole time,” said UMass coach Kevin Morris about the Minutemen’s game against UNH. “Unfortunately, we weren’t able to close the gap on the scoreboard. They got right out of the gate with that great return by [Dontra] Peters and punched it in for the score.”

Despite the disappointing loss, UMass enters the matchup having won two out of its last three. The team defeated Central Connecticut State, 42-26, on Oct. 8 at home, then went on the road at Delaware and upset the then-No. 9 Blue Hens, 21-10.

In both of those contests, quarterbacks Brandon Hill and Kellen Pagel combined to go 30-of-57 for 414 yards and two touchdowns and no turnovers. Add in tailback Jonathan Hernandez, who rushed for 161 yards and three touchdowns in those same two games, and you have a loud and potent offensive attack that Morris has been leaning on throughout the season.

However, that same offense went quiet against UNH last week.

Pagel, a redshirt sophomore, was 25-of-42 for 249 yards, but he didn’t throw a touchdown and tossed one costly interception in the endzone during the Minutemen’s first drive of the game with UMass down by eight points. He did add a rushing touchdown later in the game, but by that point, the outcome had been all but decided.

Hernandez struggled as well, amassing only 45 yards and a touchdown at the half. The Wildcats managed to plan well for him, shutting down almost every gap or hole his offensive line created, forcing him to settle for short hard-fought gains.

Later on, Hernandez found more gaps as the UNH defense wore down a little. He finished the day with 95 yards and one score.

This week, the Minutemen should be able to run the ball more effectively, facing a Spiders defense that has allowed over 150 yards-per-game and 15 rushing touchdowns on the season.

However, Pagel will be under pressure again, as Richmond is giving up under 200 yards-per-game through the air and has only let up five passing touchdowns all year.

“They’re a very solid defense,” said Morris. “… We need to make sure we’re squared away when we get down in the red zone and make sure we finish with a score.”

The Spiders defense gets especially tough in the red zone. The squad has given up just 13 red zone touchdowns this season out of a possible 22, which equates to a 59 percent success rate for opposing offenses. Also, its opponents have only converted three field goals in the red zone.

“[Converting in the red zone] is going to be a huge factor going into the Richmond game,” said Morris. “They’re the No. 1 defense in the league right now so we’ve got to be able to capitalize on opportunities and if you don’t, you’re going to find yourself on the wrong end of the ledger at the end.”

One interesting fact to note about Richmond is that it’s a team whose strengths are the beginning and the end of the game. The Spiders have scored 43 points in the first quarter this season and 54 in the final frame. The scoring lacks a bit in the middle portion of the game, but with UMass also scoring best in the fourth quarter, Saturday’s game has the makings to come down to the wire.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu or followed on Twitter @MDC_Wood.