Pre-professional preposterousness

Ever since entering college, a slew of new words and lingo has entered my vocabulary: DCs, GenEds, RAPs, Franklin’s famous finger food Fridays (say that five times fast) … and the ubiquitous, magical word at the Isenberg School of Management: networking. When walking  down the SOM main hallway you will undoubtedly be bombarded  with flyers about networking trips, networking events, networking workshops; you name it there is a networking version of it. At this point, the word makes me cringe.

Merriam-Webster defines “networking” as “the cultivation of productive relationships for employment or business.” Freshmen in the Isenberg school are required to enroll in a 1-credit Transitions Seminar their first semester that covers such “networking” topics such as resume writing, interview skills, and creating the original “30-second elevator pitch.”  The Dean’s Leadership Seminar, just implemented last year, is a second-semester continuation of the Transitions Seminar that reinforces all these skills and, more interestingly, requires students to attend a speakers series of successful Isenberg alumni.

I definitely gained my share of practical knowledge about the professional world from these seminars, but by second semester, much of the material became repetitive and tedious. While the corporate speakers were often inspiring, the classroom sessions covering similar topics during the first semester were not.

While well-intentioned, there is a problem with requiring a yearlong seminar on professional skills that are, or should be, intuitive. Being friendly, making eye contact, showing initiative and a genuine interest in others? Seriously? I’m not a moody teenager anymore.

By the time I practiced my “30 second elevator pitch” for the third time last semester, I felt robotic and insincere; introducing oneself is not the kind of thing you should have to follow a script for.

I’m not so delusional as to think that these professional skills are unnecessary. Obviously, one needs a balance of both academic and social skills to succeed. As an avid fan of TLC’s “What Not To Wear,” I fully appreciate the relationship between external dress and self-confidence and bad eye contact is probably my No. 1 pet peeve. Whether I like it or not, I recognize that one must accommodate the shallow, judgmental side of human nature when making first impressions.

However, when it comes to resume workshops and interview practices, there is also such a thing as overkill. Equally important concepts in the business world such as integrity, teamwork, critical thinking and communication skills should be alternately emphasized in Isenberg’s freshmen seminars. Even more helpful would be an overview of the majors in the Isenberg school and their key differences.

The Transition and Dean’s Leadership seminars seem to promote a one-track mindset to success: build a resume, meet employers, secure a summer internship and receive a full-time job offer. Yet, they rarely encourage perspective and worldliness. The Isenberg School’s other requirements and emphasis on studying abroad are steps in the right direction, and such initiatives should be continued and expanded.

Merav Kaufman is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].