The overly busy bird misses the worm

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

According to Dori Hickey, author of New Product Development’s Morning MealScape 2011 study, a whopping 31 million people go without breakfast each day.

Morning MealScape 2011 was conducted by NPD and analyzes situational and attitudinal factors that go into morning breakfast decisions. This study proved that 28 percent of males ages 18 to 34 skip breakfast, while only 18 percent of females of the same age group go without their morning meal. The study also concluded that adults 55 years of age and older are most likely to eat breakfast: 11 percent of males and 10 percent of females of this age do not consume after waking. Tweens ages 13 to 17 have a 14 percent rate of skipping breakfast.

University of Massachusetts freshman George Luis Perez said that he almost never eats breakfast regularly. When Perez does eat breakfast, it is generally a quick meal like cereal with milk.

UMass student Sarah Ziomek also used to skip breakfast.

“I have recently started to eat breakfast regularly, but it is more because I know it’s not good to skip breakfast,” she said.

Ziomek said that her idea of a healthy breakfast would consist of a mix of carbohydrates for energy and protein to curb her appetite. She also said tea and orange juice complement breakfasts nicely.

Skipping this essential meal is an unhealthy habit for many reasons. Eating a healthy breakfast or even eating some sort of sustenance in the morning helps students concentrate more. Going without food limits one’s ability to concentrate and can cause an uproar in restlessness close to lunch time.

Nixing breakfast often makes people irritable mood. People eat food to gain energy and without that food source – especially when just starting the day – fatigue can set in.

For those who skip breakfast as a dietary method, stop! Having a regular breakfast helps to regulate one’s appetite. When sleeping, the body’s metabolism slows down in order to conserve energy. Eating breakfast jolts metabolism, which then helps reduce collected fat. Not eating breakfast leads to increased appetite, which can cause consuming more – sometimes unhealthy – food at the next meal.

UMass student Victoria Mello said of the morning meal, “I can’t go to class without it!” Mello said her typical breakfast is an omelet or a waffle.

Student Molly Morin eats breakfast five days out of a typical week, and her selections depend on whether she is home or not. On mornings she is at home, Morin eats crepes, pancakes, eggs, bacon or waffles. While at school, she’ll have something quick like oatmeal or a bagel with some apple juice.

Freshman Taryn Fernacz said, “I grew up being told to eat breakfast every day and how important it is for your metabolism. I also love breakfast foods so I do eat breakfast every day.”

Fernacz likes to eat a healthy breakfast from well-known health food companies such as Trader Joe’s brand and Kashi. Fernacz also said that a healthy breakfast in his view includes, “whole grains and fiber, which keep you fuller longer and allow you to concentrate in class.”

Most students interviewed agreed that a healthy breakfast is comprised of whole-wheat foods, fruits, cereal, milk, eggs, juice and tea. UMass Amherst Dining Services promotes healthy eating with this quick tip: “Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables.”

Vincenza Parella can be reached at [email protected].