UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why UMass basketball isn’t a good brand of basketball -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BLOG: Joseph Widmar commits to UMass hockey -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First ever Homecoming Court to premiere this weekend

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

As students and alumni come together to cheer on the Minutemen against Villanova and reunite with former classmates, they will also be presented with the University’s first ever Homecoming King and Queen.

The first ever Homecoming Royalty was organized by Ben Johnson, Secretary of Finance in SGA and Charles Flowers III, president of UPC.

Johnson said he proposed incorporating Homecoming Royalty into this weekend’s proceedings because he wanted to improve student enthusiasm and involvement in Homecoming Weekend as well as recognize outstanding student leaders on campus.

Nominees were juniors and seniors picked from various Registered Student Organizations, Sororities and Fraternities. Johnson said 10 nominees were picked from the top 20 through an interview process with the Homecoming Committee and the Center for Student Development. He said that those who demonstrated good school spirit and leadership qualities were chosen.

Voting is now closed, but for anyone who is interested, information about the top 10 nominees is available on the SGA website. He said close to 2000 people voted.

The crowning of the King and Queen will take place on Saturday during the first touchdown timeout in the first quarter of the Homecoming football game against Villanova.

Johnson said that this first ever Homecoming Royalty event has gone well so far but has room for improvement in the future. He said it wouldn’t have been possible without Flowers from UPC, the Center for Student Development and his colleagues in the SGA.

The nominees for King are Alex Cidado, a senior political science major and president of Delta Chi, with plans to join the army and attend law school, Timothy Joseph, senior kinesiology major and representative of Haiti American Student Association (HASA), Benjamin Gregson Chase, a junior public health and biology major who is philanthropy chair of Pi Kappa Phi who wants to either pursue medical school or work for the American Cancer Association, Akshay Kapoor, a junior public health major on the pre-med track as well as an active member of SGA and Jason Asirifi, a civil engineer major member of Alpha Phi Alpha and self-proclaimed “ fun easy going person.”

The nominees for Queen are Brooke Myones, a senior accounting and legal studies major and creator of the UMass Dance Club and treasurer of SGA, Marie Robert, senior political science major pursuing her Masters in education and the National Communication Coordinator for Residence Hall Association as well as president of HASA, Stacey Hronowski, a legal studies and Psychology major and president of Mock Trial, Sarah Holtzer, senior Commonwealth Honors College architecture major and president of Panhellenic Council, and Amy Gallagher, senior nutrition major and Executive Vice President of Sigma Kappa.