UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

First ever Homecoming Court to premiere this weekend

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

As students and alumni come together to cheer on the Minutemen against Villanova and reunite with former classmates, they will also be presented with the University’s first ever Homecoming King and Queen.

The first ever Homecoming Royalty was organized by Ben Johnson, Secretary of Finance in SGA and Charles Flowers III, president of UPC.

Johnson said he proposed incorporating Homecoming Royalty into this weekend’s proceedings because he wanted to improve student enthusiasm and involvement in Homecoming Weekend as well as recognize outstanding student leaders on campus.

Nominees were juniors and seniors picked from various Registered Student Organizations, Sororities and Fraternities. Johnson said 10 nominees were picked from the top 20 through an interview process with the Homecoming Committee and the Center for Student Development. He said that those who demonstrated good school spirit and leadership qualities were chosen.

Voting is now closed, but for anyone who is interested, information about the top 10 nominees is available on the SGA website. He said close to 2000 people voted.

The crowning of the King and Queen will take place on Saturday during the first touchdown timeout in the first quarter of the Homecoming football game against Villanova.

Johnson said that this first ever Homecoming Royalty event has gone well so far but has room for improvement in the future. He said it wouldn’t have been possible without Flowers from UPC, the Center for Student Development and his colleagues in the SGA.

The nominees for King are Alex Cidado, a senior political science major and president of Delta Chi, with plans to join the army and attend law school, Timothy Joseph, senior kinesiology major and representative of Haiti American Student Association (HASA), Benjamin Gregson Chase, a junior public health and biology major who is philanthropy chair of Pi Kappa Phi who wants to either pursue medical school or work for the American Cancer Association, Akshay Kapoor, a junior public health major on the pre-med track as well as an active member of SGA and Jason Asirifi, a civil engineer major member of Alpha Phi Alpha and self-proclaimed “ fun easy going person.”

The nominees for Queen are Brooke Myones, a senior accounting and legal studies major and creator of the UMass Dance Club and treasurer of SGA, Marie Robert, senior political science major pursuing her Masters in education and the National Communication Coordinator for Residence Hall Association as well as president of HASA, Stacey Hronowski, a legal studies and Psychology major and president of Mock Trial, Sarah Holtzer, senior Commonwealth Honors College architecture major and president of Panhellenic Council, and Amy Gallagher, senior nutrition major and Executive Vice President of Sigma Kappa.

You must be logged in to post a comment.