Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Playing for pride leads to Minutemen loss

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s soccer season finale on Sunday afternoon pretty much defined all of the struggles the team has faced throughout the course of the season.

On Senior Day, the Minutemen (4-13-2, 2-5-2 Atlantic 10) dropped a 1-0 contest to Rhode Island (7-10-1, 4-4-1 A-10) at Rudd Field as URI’s Franco Lo Presti scored his second goal of the season in the 58th minute of the contest.

The theme was the same as it has been all season for UMass as it failed to score a goal despite a plethora of opportunities.

The Minutemen unloaded 17 shots that afternoon, including five in a 1:30 minute span during the second half, with many of the shots narrowly eluding the goal.

Sunday’s shutout marked the 11th game this season in which UMass failed to score a goal – it scored just a total of nine goals all year.

“We did a really good job creating a bunch of opportunities,” said senior captain David Key. “It’s frustrating though that’s kind of been the story of the whole season we haven’t been able to put the ball in the back of the net.”

The first half was completely dominated by the Rams as they outshot the Minutemen, 8-3, and possessed the ball for the majority of the time.

URI had two real scoring opportunities in the half with the first coming in the 28th minute when Rhode Island possessed the ball in the UMass defensive zone. Reece Markman shot a bouncing ball towards the net from the 18, which traveled right to Ross Morrison who stood just feet away from Minuteman goalie Shane Curran-Hays. Morrison redirected the shot with his right foot, but UMass caught a break when the deflection went right into the arms of Curran-Hays.

Their second and best opportunity of the half came with just six remaining until halftime. The near goal was a result of some miscommunication between Curran-Hays and UMass defender Matt Keys. Curran-Hays and Keys each converged on a Rams cross with Curran-Hays sprawling to catch the ball, but Keys stepped in front of the goalie and headed the ball directly to URI’s Mike Casey who was staring at a an empty net.

However, a Minuteman defender blocked Casey’s shot and UMass escaped the half without allowing a goal.

The second half started with a barrage of shots from the Minutemen. They attempted seven shots in the first seven minutes of the first half. Shortly after UMass’ offensive outburst, the Rams countered with the first goal of the game.

The goal started with a Matt Ribbens corner kick that cleared the UMass defense, and caused a hectic scramble in front of the net. Lo Presti got in the middle of the scrum and headed in the game-winning goal.

“The ball was played to the back post, we didn’t clear it, Shane made the save and wasn’t able to hold onto it, it bounced free and they got on the end of it, we just weren’t able to clear the ball,” said UMass coach Sam Koch.

From this point on, the air was taken out of the sails of the Minutemen and they were unable to equalize the score at one.

Both goalies were strong in the net as Curran-Hays stopped eight shots, while Peyton Warwick registered the shutout, making four saves.

“I thought he did a great job, he made one great save on the breakaway, and it’s unfortunate for him to play as well as he did and end up with a loss to end his career,” said Koch of senior Curran-Hays.

Sunday’s game marked the last of the careers of Bryant Craft, Curran-Hays, Michael Doherty, Chris Gilbert, Andrew Henshaw, Clifton Kipper and Chris Roswess.

Among these seniors, Koch was particularly pleased with the efforts of Kipper in Sunday’s game.

“He played very well, that’s the best game he’s played all year,” said Koch. “It was great to see him play that well in his last game of his career.”

UMass earned eight conference points over the course of the season, leaving them in 12th place in the 14-team conference.

While the Minutemen were simply playing for pride, the Rams had a possible playoff berth on the line Sunday. However, their postseason aspirations were dashed when Temple defeated La Salle. If La Salle had managed a win versus Temple, Rhode Island would have been the sixth team in the A-10 tournament.

Key contributors on offense Brett Canepa and Roswess were held out of Sunday’s game with injuries.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu or can be followed on twitter @MDC_Alexander.