UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UM crowns Brooke Myones and Akshay Kapoor first homecoming queen and king

Courtesy of Tishani Tyler

The University of Massachusetts crowned Akshay Kapoor and Brooke Myones  its first ever homecoming king and queen this past weekend at the Homecoming Football game against Villanova.

Kapoor, a junior public health major of the pre-med track, won King with 498 votes. He is involved with the SGA and a member of the Theta Chi fraternity.

“I was really shocked,” said Kapoor. “I legit thought I wasn’t going to win it, and then they called my name.”

He continued, “this is the biggest honor I’ve had at UMass.”

Myones, a senior accounting and legal studies double major, won with 354 votes, only three more than the runner-up received. Myones has served as the treasurer of the SGA and and founded the UMass Dance Club.

In her online platform, Myones said “The relationships I have formed here at UMass will stay with me forever, and I cannot be prouder to say that I come from this school.”

The announcement was made at the football game during the first touchdown timeout in the first quarter. The winners were given flowers and a crown.

The winners of Homecoming King and Queen were voted on by students using an online poll set up by the SGA. All the votes were in and counted by Thursday.

“I knew Thursday night,” said Ben Johnson, Secretary of Finance in the SGA and one of the event organizers. “We didn’t tell anyone until the game though.”

Johnson said that about 2,000 people voted in the election. Charles Flowers III, president of UPC, also helped organize the event, which will be held again next year.

“We plan on having it again next year,” said Johnson. “One of the parts of the survey online was a question on if people though having a homecoming king and queen was important. Seventy-five percent or 1,153 people thought this was important.”

-Collegian News Staff