Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

UM crowns Brooke Myones and Akshay Kapoor first homecoming queen and king

Courtesy of Tishani Tyler

The University of Massachusetts crowned Akshay Kapoor and Brooke Myones  its first ever homecoming king and queen this past weekend at the Homecoming Football game against Villanova.

Kapoor, a junior public health major of the pre-med track, won King with 498 votes. He is involved with the SGA and a member of the Theta Chi fraternity.

“I was really shocked,” said Kapoor. “I legit thought I wasn’t going to win it, and then they called my name.”

He continued, “this is the biggest honor I’ve had at UMass.”

Myones, a senior accounting and legal studies double major, won with 354 votes, only three more than the runner-up received. Myones has served as the treasurer of the SGA and and founded the UMass Dance Club.

In her online platform, Myones said “The relationships I have formed here at UMass will stay with me forever, and I cannot be prouder to say that I come from this school.”

The announcement was made at the football game during the first touchdown timeout in the first quarter. The winners were given flowers and a crown.

The winners of Homecoming King and Queen were voted on by students using an online poll set up by the SGA. All the votes were in and counted by Thursday.

“I knew Thursday night,” said Ben Johnson, Secretary of Finance in the SGA and one of the event organizers. “We didn’t tell anyone until the game though.”

Johnson said that about 2,000 people voted in the election. Charles Flowers III, president of UPC, also helped organize the event, which will be held again next year.

“We plan on having it again next year,” said Johnson. “One of the parts of the survey online was a question on if people though having a homecoming king and queen was important. Seventy-five percent or 1,153 people thought this was important.”

-Collegian News Staff

You must be logged in to post a comment.