Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UM crowns Brooke Myones and Akshay Kapoor first homecoming queen and king

Courtesy of Tishani Tyler

The University of Massachusetts crowned Akshay Kapoor and Brooke Myones  its first ever homecoming king and queen this past weekend at the Homecoming Football game against Villanova.

Kapoor, a junior public health major of the pre-med track, won King with 498 votes. He is involved with the SGA and a member of the Theta Chi fraternity.

“I was really shocked,” said Kapoor. “I legit thought I wasn’t going to win it, and then they called my name.”

He continued, “this is the biggest honor I’ve had at UMass.”

Myones, a senior accounting and legal studies double major, won with 354 votes, only three more than the runner-up received. Myones has served as the treasurer of the SGA and and founded the UMass Dance Club.

In her online platform, Myones said “The relationships I have formed here at UMass will stay with me forever, and I cannot be prouder to say that I come from this school.”

The announcement was made at the football game during the first touchdown timeout in the first quarter. The winners were given flowers and a crown.

The winners of Homecoming King and Queen were voted on by students using an online poll set up by the SGA. All the votes were in and counted by Thursday.

“I knew Thursday night,” said Ben Johnson, Secretary of Finance in the SGA and one of the event organizers. “We didn’t tell anyone until the game though.”

Johnson said that about 2,000 people voted in the election. Charles Flowers III, president of UPC, also helped organize the event, which will be held again next year.

“We plan on having it again next year,” said Johnson. “One of the parts of the survey online was a question on if people though having a homecoming king and queen was important. Seventy-five percent or 1,153 people thought this was important.”

-Collegian News Staff