UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

UM crowns Brooke Myones and Akshay Kapoor first homecoming queen and king

Courtesy of Tishani Tyler

The University of Massachusetts crowned Akshay Kapoor and Brooke Myones  its first ever homecoming king and queen this past weekend at the Homecoming Football game against Villanova.

Kapoor, a junior public health major of the pre-med track, won King with 498 votes. He is involved with the SGA and a member of the Theta Chi fraternity.

“I was really shocked,” said Kapoor. “I legit thought I wasn’t going to win it, and then they called my name.”

He continued, “this is the biggest honor I’ve had at UMass.”

Myones, a senior accounting and legal studies double major, won with 354 votes, only three more than the runner-up received. Myones has served as the treasurer of the SGA and and founded the UMass Dance Club.

In her online platform, Myones said “The relationships I have formed here at UMass will stay with me forever, and I cannot be prouder to say that I come from this school.”

The announcement was made at the football game during the first touchdown timeout in the first quarter. The winners were given flowers and a crown.

The winners of Homecoming King and Queen were voted on by students using an online poll set up by the SGA. All the votes were in and counted by Thursday.

“I knew Thursday night,” said Ben Johnson, Secretary of Finance in the SGA and one of the event organizers. “We didn’t tell anyone until the game though.”

Johnson said that about 2,000 people voted in the election. Charles Flowers III, president of UPC, also helped organize the event, which will be held again next year.

“We plan on having it again next year,” said Johnson. “One of the parts of the survey online was a question on if people though having a homecoming king and queen was important. Seventy-five percent or 1,153 people thought this was important.”

-Collegian News Staff