UMass chancellor suspends use of student confidential informants -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Only a freshman, Matthew Mooney provides valuable minutes for UMass men’s soccer -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fox’s new ‘Red Band Society’ could be important if it wasn’t misguided -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The SGA can’t fix problems without students’ help -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Minutewomen look for improved offense, steady defense in A-10 play -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Safe Passage provides services for survivors of domestic violence -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A fruity, creamy berry Irish Fool recipe -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass women’s soccer battles Harvard to a draw -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMatter at UMass campaign tackling problem of alcohol and drug abuse -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass to implement new electronic security sign-in system -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

With conference play under way, UMass looks to get on track -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Depth, chemistry powers UMass club hockey -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hader and Wiig give a beating heart to ‘Skeleton Twins’ -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UM falls to Temple in A-10 semifinals

The Massachusetts field hockey team’s pursuit of a 13th Atlantic 10 title ended on Friday against Temple in a 4-0 loss.

UMass came into the A-10 tournament with the No. 2 seed set to face the No. 3 seed Owls. The Minutewomen had played well in conference play with their only loss coming to Richmond in the regular season who received the No. 1 seed.

Earlier this season the Minutewomen defeated the Owls, 2-1, in overtime on Oct. 23. However, UMass never got it going offensively as it was shut out 4-0 by the Owls in this game.

Temple got out to the early lead with a score in the ninth minute by Amber Youtz off a deflection, for her fourth goal of the season. In the 25th minute, Bridget Settles did what she does best, scoring her 19th goal of the season off a penalty corner to double the UMass deficit. The Minutewomen were outshot 9-2 in the first half going into intermission down 2-0, still within striking distance.

“Temple got out to a strong start and we got in a hole early. So, come the second half, we had to change things up,” said UMass coach Carla Tagliente.

The second half did not fare any better for UMass as the Owls tacked on two more to put the game away. In the eight minute of the second half, Caryn Lambright made it 3-0 after taking a lead pass from Tori Cox and dribbled it into the circle to score. The goal was her fifth of the season. Then, with just under seven minutes remaining, Settles added an insurance goal for her 20th of the season. UMass outshot the Owls 7-6 in the second period but couldn’t find the back of the net.

“To try and get on the board we had to change things up and when you do that you tend to leave yourself vulnerable on defense and that’s how they ended up scoring two more goals,” said Tagliente.

Lizzy Millen, who played the first 65 minutes of the match, made three saves for the Owls while Haley Mitchell had a pair of saves in the last five minutes of the game.

Senior captain Alesha Widdall made six saves for UMass in the final game of her successful collegiate career. Widdall earned A-10 Defensive Player of the Year honors this season and finished her collegiate career with 47 victories and 25 by shutout. Along with Widdall, seniors Christine Cutry, Amanda Dietz and Nikki Pancioccio finish their careers with a 51-33 overall record, 21-4 record in A-10 play and two A-10 tournament titles under their belt.

In her first season at the helm of the Minutewomen, Tagliente led her team to a share of the regular season A-10 title with a 7-11 overall record and 5-1 conference record. Kim Young finished the season-leading UMass in points with 13 off of four goals and five assists. Widdall started every game of the season, making 118 saves.

“You know when people look at our record we look like just an average team but if you look game by game, we were in every game and had a chance to win every game,” said Tagliente. “But we were just lacking some experience this season despite having a very talented team.

“I am optimistic for next season, we recruited some really good athletes which will raise our teams skill level and this offseason we will be working hard on our technical skills and fitness,” added Tagliente.

Richmond and Temple played for the A-10 title on Saturday in Philadelphia. The Spiders shut out the Owls 1-0 to win their seventh title in program history.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu or follow him on Twitter at MDC_Counos.