Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass falls in homecoming game, 35-17, to Villanova

In what was its last homecoming game at McGuirk Stadium for the foreseeable future, the Massachusetts football team lost to the last place Villanova, 35-17, in front of 10,012 fans.

The Minutemen committed a season-high six turnovers, most of which the Wildcats turned into points.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Brandon Hill started in place of redshirt sophomore quarterback Kellen Pagel, who was out with an upper body injury. Although he threw for a career-high 300 yards, Hill never found his rhythm as he threw for one touchdown and three interceptions.

Senior tailback Jonathan Hernandez, UMass’ best offensive player, added two fumbles in his 99-yard rushing effort.

“It’s a very disappointing loss,” said UMass coach Kevin Morris. “The turnovers are the key to the game and the name of the game is ball control and not turn the ball over, we did that tonight and we weren’t able to overcome it… unfortunately [it was] a simple storyline.

“Six turnovers on the day and that’s going to be hard to win any CAA ballgame,” added Morris. “It’s going to put a lot of pressure on the defense and special teams.”

In the postgame conference, Villanova coach Andy Talley revealed a cut-out newspaper article detailing the woes of the Wildcats season which he said he used to motivate his players.

“This was good stuff,” said Talley, referring to the article. “It was good motivation [and] obviously our little kitty cats turned into Wildcats today.”

Villanova freshman running back Jamal Abdur-Rahman had a game-high 169 all-purpose yards (62 rushing, 62 receiving and 45 return) and a touchdown and senior defensive back James Pitts had three interceptions to lead the Wildcats.

The win gave the Villanova (2-8 overall, 1-6 CAA) its first conference win of the season, as the Minutemen fell to 5-4 overall.

UMass set the tone early, coming up with a defensive stop on Villanova’s first possession.

The Minutemen’s first offensive play was a 12-yard completion to senior receiver Julian Talley, who finished with a career-high 11 receptions for 155 yards and a touchdown. Talley and Hernandez controlled the rest of the drive which ended with 24-yard field goal from Brandon Levengood to put UMass up, 3-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter was ugly for the Minutemen who surrendered 21 consecutive points before scoring again. On consecutive drives, Hill threw two interceptions to Villanova’s James Pitts, both of which led to Wildcat touchdowns.

The Minutemen responded with one minute, 25 seconds left in the second when redshirt freshman Matt Campbell recorded his first career touchdown, a 1-yard rush which put UMass within two scores.

The Wildcats answered on the following drive, as freshman quarterback Chris Polony threw his third touchdown of the game to junior receiver Dorian Wells to make it 28-10 Villanova at the half.

UMass made it 28-17 with 11:40 left in the third quarter as Hill found Talley for a 12-yard touchdown pass.

The UMass defense stepped up on Villanova’s next three possessions, forcing two three-and-outs and a turnover on downs but was unable to capitalize.

“It’s just frustrating because we know we’re a lot better than we showed tonight,” said senior tight end Emil Igwenagu, who finished with just two receptions for 13 yards. “A lot of plays we gave up – we usually make those.”

Villanova’s Lawrence Doss capped the scoring and sealed the win for the Wildcats with a 7-yard touchdown run late in the third which finalized the score, 35-17.

“I don’t think at any point until the bitter end did we think we were going to lose the ballgame,” said Morris. “Our guys play with a lot of confidence and we certainly have enough guys to execute and get things done.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu or followed on Twitter @MDC_Levine.