Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutewomen face strong competition at Big Green Invitational

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Jessica Podlofsky’s impressive display over the weekend shone bright for the Massachusetts tennis team, which was met with stiff competition at the Big Green Invitational.

The Minutewomen closed out the fall portion of their schedule in Hannover, N.H., with the weekend-long tournament, which also included Boston University, Yale, St. John’s and host Dartmouth.

Podlofsky recorded wins in both of her singles duels, bringing her tournament record to 10-1 on the season. Her first win over the Big Green’s Rachel Decker-Sadowski (7-5, 6-4) was the first overall win for the Minutewomen. On the second day, Podlofsky dispatched the Terriers’ Sami Lieb (6-2, 4-6, 6-3).

In doubles, Podlofsky also collected a win with freshman partner Chanel Glasper on the second day. The pairing lost their first two matches, first to Dartmouth’s Janet Liu and Decker-Sadowski (8-5), and on the second day against BU’s Jessi Linero and Leonie Athanasiadis (8-6). In their final match of the tournament, the UMass pair defeated the St. John’s selection of Nakita Austin and Ece Firat (8-4), to ensure Podlofsky ended her tournament with a positive record.
Glasper also found success in the singles portion of the draw. Her initial match saw each set need the seventh-game winner, even in a tie-breaker in the final set. In the end, however, the Big Green’s co-captain Shelley Carpeni (7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (8)) emerged on top. Glasper recovered on the second day to overcome the Terrier’s Kendal Drake (6-4, 6-0), in a much quicker contest.

Struggling sophomore Yuliana Motyl also picked up a couple of wins in doubles on Day 1 and a singles triumph on the second day. Motyl, pairing up with Chantal Swiszcz, took to the court against the Yale duo Steph Kent and Sarah Guzick. The combination was able to take the match (8-6) before a ninth-game winner was necessary. Following their initial success, the duo was topped in both of its matches on the second day.

Motyl was also taken down by Dartmouth’s top-seeded Akiko Okuda (6-2, 6-2) on the first day. The following day, Motyl took down Athanasiadis (6-3, 3-6, 6-1). As a result of the victory, Motyl takes a 3-6 singles record into the break.
UMass’ Julia Comas took two defeats over the weekend in the singles draw. Coming into the weekend at 5-4 in tournament play, Comas now enters the break having failed to save a positive record.

Comas put up a solid fight in her first set of the tournament against Liu (7-5, 6-0). Comas, however, was swept out of the second set. Next, Comas came up against Linero, forcing a seventh-game winner in the first, but ultimately losing the match in straight sets (7-6, 6-3).
The Minutewomen also featured a pair of freshman who made their debuts for the team in the competition. Emilie Burgess recorded her first victory for UMass in a straight-set win (6-0, 6-3) over BU’s Marina Fileva. When teamed with Gianna Francis in a doubles match, Burgess experienced her first tournament defeat as well, with Dartmouth’s Sabrina Stewart and Theresa Smith (8-1) making quick work of the freshman couple. In singles, Francis was defeated twice in straight sets.

Sophomore Sonia Bokhari also took two defeats at the tournament in singles, before recording a hard-fought victory over Becker and Dittmer grouping in doubles with Francis (8-6).

The Big Green Invitational concluded the fall portion of the Minutewomen’s schedule. They’re now off until they travel to the Bay Road Tennis Club to take on Boston College when their dual-schedule resumes on Jan. 28.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at jokerman@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.