UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dash & Dine race raises funds for Amherst Survival Center -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Minutemen look to take advantage of home ice this weekend

The Massachusetts hockey team is flying high after its most recent victory over No. 1 Boston College on Saturday at the Mullins Center.

Michael Wood/Collegian

Michael Wood/Collegian

The Minutemen skated to a 4-2 victory over the Eagles, marking the first time UMass beat a No. 1 ranked team since Nov. 14, 2008 when it defeated Boston University, 5-1, at the Mullins Center.

The win was particularly big for the Minutemen as they avenged last year’s failures against the Eagles, who won all three regular season matchups before knocking UMass out of the Hockey East playoffs with two straight wins.

With their first conference victory out of the way, the Minutemen (2-4-2 overall, 1-4-2 HEA) can shift their attention to this weekend, when they host Holy Cross (3-3) on Friday and conference rival Northeastern (1-5-2 overall, 1-5-2 HEA) on Saturday.

UMass has averaged 3.4 goals-per-game behind four players who are averaging at least one point-per-game. Leading the way is senior captain T.J. Syner, who has a team-high 11 points (four goals, seven assists) and 27 shots in eight games. Behind Syner are sophomore forwards Conor Sheary (four goals, five assists) and leading goal-scorer Michael Pereira (five goals, three assists). Senior co-captain Danny Hobbs rounds out the four with seven points in as many games (three goals, four assists)

It remains to be seen who UMass coach Don Cahoon will start in goal for the weekend games, but for now it appears that freshman Kevin Boyle has the starting job. Boyle has started five of the Minutemen’s eight games, registering a 2-2-2 record to go along with an .866 save percentage and a 3.44 goals-against-average. Boyle was solid in net against BC, allowing two goals on 24 shots.

UMass must be disciplined against Holy Cross as the Crusaders power play has accounted for nine of their 18 goals this season and has converted at a 32 percent clip. By comparison, the Minutemen’s penalty kill ranks second-to-last in the conference with a 73.7 percent success rate. The key will be to stay out of the box, something UMass has gotten better with as the season has progressed.

In goal for the Crusaders will likely be Matt Ginn, who has an .887 save percentage and a 3.22 goals-against-average in five starts.

On Saturday, Northeastern will come into the Mullins Center looking to add to last year’s success against the Minutemen when the Huskies won the season series, 2-0-1.

The contest has the potential to be very low scoring, as the Huskies average just 2.4 goals-per-game. Their lack of scoring is made up for by their goaltender, junior Chris Rawlings.

Rawlings, a 6-foot-5 native of British Columbia, ranks third in the conference with a .918 save percentage. Rawlings is picking up right where he left off last season, when he started 35 games recording a .920 save percentage and five shutouts, good for fourth in the nation.

While no Northeastern player averages a point-per-game, it does have five players with at least five points. The biggest threat to score is junior forward Justin Daniels, who has a team-leading five goals.

Cahoon understands that this weekend is a glowing opportunity for the Minutemen to improve their record and take advantage of skating on home ice, as they are currently undefeated at the Mullins Center with a 2-0-1 record.

“Preparation is everything and then the commitment to the follow through” said Cahoon following UMass’ win against Boston College. “We’ll get back to work on Monday morning and hopefully work towards [being] prepared and [being] ready to follow through with [the details].”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Levine.