UMass uses texting to fight hunger

The University of Massachusetts Dining Services is using texting to fight hunger. Dining Services is joining with Kraft foods to help donate 100,000 meals to the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts, according to a press release by the UMass News Office.

As part of the Huddle to Fight Hunger campaign, members to the campus community can text “UMASS 01038” to 71717 by Nov. 30 to donate one meal to Feeding America. Only one text will be accepted per phone number.

Currently, there are yellow banners advertising this program throughout the Dining Commons.

In addition to texting, students can donate another meal by going to facebook.com/KraftFightHunger and “liking” Kraft Fight Hunger on Facebook.

“Hunger is a very serious issue in our country that often goes overlooked,” said Ken Toong, executive director of auxiliary enterprises, in the press release. “Sadly, more than 50 million Americans, or one in six of our neighbors, struggle to put food on their tables. That’s why we’ve joined Kraft Foods in their ambitious effort and are encouraging our UMass community to help us tackle this problem.”

According to the Map the Meal Gap project by Feed America, 10.2 percent of people in Hampshire County suffer from food insecurity and do not know where they will find their next meal.

The project ends with the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, which features college football teams from the PAC-12 and Army. It will be broadcast on ESPN on Dec. 31.

-Collegian News Staff