Fantasy Football Outlook: Week 10

Courtesy of Zimbio

Now that Fantasy Football has spread faster than a forest fire and given couch-coaches everywhere a chance to call the shots, I am going to get in on the action and help you decide what choices to make. Being that it’s Week 10 of the NFL season, there may only be about five or six weeks left in the season, depending on the structure of your league. This means that every matchup is crucial. Let’s dive in and see if we can help you gain an edge in your league.

I’m not going to bother preaching to the choir about the likes of Rodgers, Vick, Newton, Forte, Peterson, Rice, etc. We all know what they’re capable of. Instead we’ll look at sleepers and under the radar players you might consider starting during a week in which you could be battling for a playoff spot. (All discussions of points will be based on standard ESPN scoring)

DeMarco Murray, RB, Cowboys:
A popular waiver wire pickup after Felix Jones went down with an ankle injury, Murray
has not disappointed. Some may be tentative to start him again with Jones potentially
returning, but given what he’s done in a short time span, the Cowboys won’t forget about
him, and neither should you.

Mark Sanchez, QB, Jets:
It seems everyone torches the Pats secondary. Add to it that he’s at home against a Patriots team who’s suddenly lost two in a row, while the Jets look to be gaining steam. Starting Sanchez should be a safe bet.

Reggie Bush, RB, Dolphins:
Yes, that Reggie Bush. Daniel Thomas has been hampered by injuries all year, and Bush has come on strong his last two starts, going for a combined 192 yards and a TD. After years of criticism, maybe Bush is finally seeing the light. You could certainly do worse this week.

Tim Tebow, QB, Broncos:
Good real-life QB? Not yet at least. Good fantasy QB? Absolutely. Tebow is capable of rushing for 50 yards a week because of his strength and explosiveness, and a rushing QB adds great upside to fantasy stats. He’s also a solid goal-line option to rush it in for a score if the situation calls for it. The Broncos have catered their playbook to him, and he will be good enough to consider as a start in most formats.

Plaxico Burress, WR, Jets:
Same situation as Sanchez. He has also been targeted more frequently in recent weeks, and simply put, the Patriots don’t have anyone that can matchup against this guy.

Boom/Bust Potential:

Vincent Jackson, WR, Chargers:
Jackson has had three weeks where he’s put up monster numbers going over 18 points in each, yet every other week he’s been a dud. Much of this can be attributed to Philip Rivers’ struggles, but those seeking trades could get some value in return for Jackson who’s coming off a huge game last week. If you stick with him, prepare to be rewarded greatly, or easily let down.

Julio Jones, WR, Falcons:
A rookie who is just coming into his own. He has a bright future, but will probably continue to be hit or miss for 2011.

Chris Johnson, RB, Titans:
In 2008-2010, he was a fantasy stud. In 2011 he is an all-around bum. But week 10 offers a nice matchup against a soft Panthers run D. All he has to do is break one long run, and you could see CJ put up a nice day, offering his owners some hope.

Players owned <50% of ESPN Leagues to keep an eye on:
Jacoby Ford, OAK. Roy Helu, WAS. Jerome Simpson, CIN. Brent Celek, PHI. Steve Breaston, KC. Antonio Brown, PIT. Andy Dalton, CIN. Carson Palmer, OAK. Jake Ballard, NYG.

Tyler Galicia can be reached for comment at [email protected].