UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Sloppy play plagues UMass despite win

A 2-0 start for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team has generated plenty of reasons for optimism. That being said, the sloppy, complacent style of basketball implored at times Monday night left pessimists with plenty to doubt about the team.

UMass defeated Northeastern in its second game of the season by a score of 83-67 in a game that was filled with careless turnovers and fouls by each team.

The teams combined for 69 free-throw attempts, 41 turnovers and 55 fouls in a sloppy, fast-paced game.

The Minutemen had a majority of those miscues accumulating 20 turnovers, committing 32 fouls and allowed the visiting Huskies to shoot a whopping 40 free throws.

“I’m going to watch the tape and just see where we were making those mistakes and then kind of go from there,” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg.

The lackadaisical play by the Minutemen nearly allowed Northeastern back into the game in the second half.

With 13 minutes remaining, UMass held a commanding 55-38 second half lead. However, over the next two minutes, the lead nearly vanished as a plethora of fouls led to easy buckets for the Huskies and the Minutemen lead shrunk to six.

“When they cut it to six I was a little concerned because the game didn’t have any flow, it seemed like they were just marching to the free throw line,” said Kellogg.

During that two-minute stretch, the Minutemen committed four fouls and sent NU to the free throw line eight times, while adding a turnover to combat matters.

“I think we got complacent,” said Kellogg. “A few guys had a couple turnovers apiece and that let them back into the game, a really good college team closes the game out and puts them away a little earlier.”

A few of the culprits were Cady Lalanne and Sampson Carter, two players that provided a spark off the bench but also lead the team with four turnovers each. In addition, Jesse Morgan, Chaz Williams and Javorn Farrell all had three turnovers apiece.

While some of the turnovers could be blamed on the up-and-down pace of the game, Kellogg saw far too many unforced errors.

“I thought that quite a few of them were sloppy and unforced to a certain extent and driving the ball to places [where] there was nothing there,” said Kellogg.

However, UMass’ turnover-infested play finally ceased with 12 minutes remaining in the game. During those final minutes, their six-point lead ballooned to a 16-point lead thanks to an obvious effort to take care of the ball.

The fouling continued for the most part, as the Minutemen committed eight more fouls, but the turnovers all but stopped at the 12-minute mark. To that point, UMass had 19 turnovers, but gave the ball away just once during its 26-16 run to end the game.

Their sloppy play carried over into Monday night’s game from their season opener versus Elon. The Minutemen won the game easily but a number of first half turnovers left them in a 43-39 halftime hole.

Talent helped them erase a second half deficit as UMass eased to victory against Elon, but as the non-conference schedule toughens up, Kellogg knows these blunders will start to cost them.

“I may break out every turnover from our tape and tell the guys ‘if you guys want to be a good basketball team this cannot happen,’” said Kellogg.

For now, the Minutemen have all the right in the world to boast about their 2-0 record. However, they’ll have little room for error when they face the likes of Boston College, Florida State and Miami, three ACC schools, and schools that unlike Elon and Northeastern, will surely take advantage of any UMass errors.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter at @MDC_Alexander.

One Response to “Sloppy play plagues UMass despite win”
  1. UMassFan says:

What a negative article. While the second half was a foul fest, much of that came from our guys playing too hard, not lackadaisical as you state. Also, I am not saying you have to be the PR arm for the team, but by taking such a negative slant to a big win you are really discouraging people from attending games to support this hard working team and in the end a big win is a big win!