UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Offense in full swing as Minutemen cruise to 83-67 victory

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s offense was in full swing once again on Monday night.

UMass (2-0) sprinted up and down the floor from start to finish despite a plethora of whistles to march its way to an 83-67 win over Northeastern at the Mullins Center.

Sophomore Chaz Williams recorded his first double-double in a Minutemen uniform, leading all scorers with 20 points and 10 assists. Juniors Terrell Vinson and Sampson Carter chipped in with 14 and 12 respectively as part of UMass’ second consecutive 80-point scoring outburst to start the season.

Early on it was all Minutemen, jumping out to a 17-4 lead in the first eight minutes of play. Northeastern (1-1) could not handle UMass’ full-court pressure and harassing ball pressure, leading to four Huskies turnovers in that span.

Williams explained after the game that starting fast has been a point of emphasis for the Minutemen this season as they start to play better competition.

“Once we start playing better teams and once we get into conference play … [those] leads can be kept so we’re just trying to come out and trying to take the early punch in the face and just be ready for whatever,” said Williams.

The margin was cut to six with 9:41 remaining in the game, as the Huskies ran off a 13-2 run over a three-minute period. That was as close as it got, however, as the Minutemen countered with a 14-4 run of their own to push the lead to 14 with 6:07 to play.

“I think it was the turning point,” said Williams. “Coach kept telling us, ‘We still need our run …’ and our run came at the right time and when they cut it down to six, that we just knew we had to step our stuff up.”

UMass coach Derek Kellogg knew his team needed to come up big at that point in the game to avoid a letdown.

“I could feel the game was … getting to the point where we needed to make some plays and I thought we made a few good plays to give us a little bit of a cushion at the point,” said Kellogg.

With the teams combining for 53 totals fouls, the game lacked the flow that the Minutemen are accustomed to.

Carter said that all the free throws kept UMass from getting out in transition, which it found great success with all night long.

With sophomore Raphiael Putney inactive with a concussion, the Minutemen shuffled in nine players for the greater part of the game, which Carter explained is a crucial component to the team’s recent success.

“I think when more guys come off the bench and give a little bit more, then it makes everybody else’s job a little bit easier,” said Carter.