UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Offense in full swing as Minutemen cruise to 83-67 victory

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s offense was in full swing once again on Monday night.

UMass (2-0) sprinted up and down the floor from start to finish despite a plethora of whistles to march its way to an 83-67 win over Northeastern at the Mullins Center.

Sophomore Chaz Williams recorded his first double-double in a Minutemen uniform, leading all scorers with 20 points and 10 assists. Juniors Terrell Vinson and Sampson Carter chipped in with 14 and 12 respectively as part of UMass’ second consecutive 80-point scoring outburst to start the season.

Early on it was all Minutemen, jumping out to a 17-4 lead in the first eight minutes of play. Northeastern (1-1) could not handle UMass’ full-court pressure and harassing ball pressure, leading to four Huskies turnovers in that span.

Williams explained after the game that starting fast has been a point of emphasis for the Minutemen this season as they start to play better competition.

“Once we start playing better teams and once we get into conference play … [those] leads can be kept so we’re just trying to come out and trying to take the early punch in the face and just be ready for whatever,” said Williams.

The margin was cut to six with 9:41 remaining in the game, as the Huskies ran off a 13-2 run over a three-minute period. That was as close as it got, however, as the Minutemen countered with a 14-4 run of their own to push the lead to 14 with 6:07 to play.

“I think it was the turning point,” said Williams. “Coach kept telling us, ‘We still need our run …’ and our run came at the right time and when they cut it down to six, that we just knew we had to step our stuff up.”

UMass coach Derek Kellogg knew his team needed to come up big at that point in the game to avoid a letdown.

“I could feel the game was … getting to the point where we needed to make some plays and I thought we made a few good plays to give us a little bit of a cushion at the point,” said Kellogg.

With the teams combining for 53 totals fouls, the game lacked the flow that the Minutemen are accustomed to.

Carter said that all the free throws kept UMass from getting out in transition, which it found great success with all night long.

With sophomore Raphiael Putney inactive with a concussion, the Minutemen shuffled in nine players for the greater part of the game, which Carter explained is a crucial component to the team’s recent success.

“I think when more guys come off the bench and give a little bit more, then it makes everybody else’s job a little bit easier,” said Carter.

You must be logged in to post a comment.