Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Reasons to love November

It’s just about that mid-semester point when everyone starts crashing. Despite the fact many students are tired of school, there is still a month to go. Midterms have just ended, but it is already time to gear up for finals. To top things off, this is when it starts to move away from that wonderful crisp autumn air and into the awful colder weather. In the spirit of this month’s biggest holiday, there are several reasons to be thankful for the month of November.

Too many days off to count

Between Veteran’s Day and Thanksgiving, it seems students are given as many days off as they are in classes. Take the time to go do something fun. Escape for a little while. It will take the mind off of November’s stresses, in order to be ready to take on whatever this crazy month has to offer after returning.

Fall food

Autumn cuisine is arguably the best food. Even though Halloween is over, there’s still time for another slice of pumpkin pie (or another pumpkin beer, depending on your taste). Personally, I love Thanksgiving food, too. Cranberry sauce is no less than a tangy, tasty gift from the gods, as long as it’s homemade and not the slimy canned stuff.

Movies

November has a trend of turning out terrific films. Some of my favorites have come out in November, such as “White Nights” (1985), “Amelie” (2001), and my newest addition to the November list, “Anonymous” (2011).

Daylight Savings

We gained an extra hour of sleep with the arrival of November just this past weekend. I don’t think anyone could complain about this one.

The clothing

I love autumn clothes. Summer clothes are designed to do a number on the confidence level of any girl above a size two. Autumn clothing tends to celebrate more sizes by letting everyone look fantastic. The warm colors, boots and light jackets will be some of the fashion highlights of the year.

Don’t let November get you down. It’s not worth it when there is so much to love about this wonderful, second-to-last month of the year.

Alissa Mesibov can be reached for comment at amesibov@student.umass.edu.