UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

Reasons to love November

It’s just about that mid-semester point when everyone starts crashing. Despite the fact many students are tired of school, there is still a month to go. Midterms have just ended, but it is already time to gear up for finals. To top things off, this is when it starts to move away from that wonderful crisp autumn air and into the awful colder weather. In the spirit of this month’s biggest holiday, there are several reasons to be thankful for the month of November.

Too many days off to count

Between Veteran’s Day and Thanksgiving, it seems students are given as many days off as they are in classes. Take the time to go do something fun. Escape for a little while. It will take the mind off of November’s stresses, in order to be ready to take on whatever this crazy month has to offer after returning.

Fall food

Autumn cuisine is arguably the best food. Even though Halloween is over, there’s still time for another slice of pumpkin pie (or another pumpkin beer, depending on your taste). Personally, I love Thanksgiving food, too. Cranberry sauce is no less than a tangy, tasty gift from the gods, as long as it’s homemade and not the slimy canned stuff.

Movies

November has a trend of turning out terrific films. Some of my favorites have come out in November, such as “White Nights” (1985), “Amelie” (2001), and my newest addition to the November list, “Anonymous” (2011).

Daylight Savings

We gained an extra hour of sleep with the arrival of November just this past weekend. I don’t think anyone could complain about this one.

The clothing

I love autumn clothes. Summer clothes are designed to do a number on the confidence level of any girl above a size two. Autumn clothing tends to celebrate more sizes by letting everyone look fantastic. The warm colors, boots and light jackets will be some of the fashion highlights of the year.

Don’t let November get you down. It’s not worth it when there is so much to love about this wonderful, second-to-last month of the year.

Alissa Mesibov can be reached for comment at amesibov@student.umass.edu.