Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Robinson, Zullo leading the way for Minutewomen

For the Massachusetts women’s basketball team, there is no shortage of leadership in the ranks.

Lorin Reid/Collegian

The Minutewomen, who have five freshmen and two sophomores on their roster, will rely heavily on the on-court production and locker room leadership of a veteran squad that includes senior guards Megan Zullo and Emilie Teuscher, as well as junior forward Shakia Robinson.

In UMass’ 55-49 win over Boston University on Sunday afternoon, Zullo and Robinson scored 39 of the squad’s total points. More impressive, however, is how well the two maintained their team’s sense of confidence and determination to win, as the Terriers came back from several double-digit deficits to pull within striking distance late in the second half.

“We are not just going to settle for average,” said Robinson. “We came out, ready to go, and got that win.”

Last season, the Minutewomen went 7-23 and struggled to find their rhythm as they adjusted to the coaching system of their new coach, Sharon Dawley. Now in its second season with Dawley at the helm, UMass is better prepared and more confident in its abilities and potential on the court.

“I feel like we are a lot more in-sync with each other,” said Zullo. “[Last year] was our first year with coach [Dawley], and now we have her system down. Most of us have played with each other for a year and are comfortable on the court.”

Throughout the game, both Zullo and Robinson were very vocal with their teammates, making sure that everyone on the court knew what to do with the ball, how to defend BU and where to go in transition. Most importantly, they made sure that no one on the team lost confidence in themselves despite the Terriers’ efforts to tie the game.

“Every team is going to make their runs, so it is just all about keeping your composure,” said Zullo. “We kept our composure pretty well.”

“People are definitely not aware of what we have,” added Zullo. “They know that last year we were a team that could push everybody, but this year, we are going to be the team that finishes it. It is going to be interesting.”

In all, both Zullo and Robinson are expected to pave the way for their younger teammates to succeed through their contributions on the court. Zullo started all 30 games last season for the Minutewomen, averaging just shy of 38 minutes per game and 10.5 points per game with a 37.8 shooting percentage from beyond the arc.

Robinson’s performance was also impressive last year. In 29 games, she averaged 27 minutes and 10.7 points per game while converting on 50 percent of her field goal opportunities.

As the Minutewomen prepare for Wednesday night’s game against Central Connecticut State at the Mullins Center, both players know that, in addition to successful execution of their game plan, they have to rely on each other’s guidance and energy to play a full game to the best of their abilities.

“The starting five are a year older in talent, a lot more mature and know each other very well,” said Robinson. “We know how to calm each other down, and once we are all calm, we are good to go.”

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Martin.