Seasonal specialties provide comfort

With the approach of Thanksgiving break and the passing of fall, many students are craving the comforts of home. Just in time for the holidays, these seasonal delights provide the perfect escape from a seemingly never-ending semester.

Courtesy all of olive/Flickr

Eggnog is a seasonal staple that has been incorporated into varying treats. For caffeine connoisseurs, Green Mountain Coffee offers a limited edition blend in its “Spicy Eggnog” flavor. The aroma alone will immediately initiate relaxation, but when combined with the taste, this coffee delivers a unique twist to a classic favorite. Eggnog makes as a tasty ingredient in baked goods such as cheesecake and cupcakes. While these treats may not be readily available, they can be quickly created with the help of the Internet to access an enticing recipe. Classic eggnog in liquid form is flavorsome enough on its own, but takes on new flavors by carton. Hood EggNog offers several different options in flavor, including vanilla, cinnamon, gingerbread, pumpkin and sugar cookie. Whether plain or spiked, this creamy concoction is mouthwatering in any form.

The return of apple cider means many things for lovers of this seasonal favorite. Hot apple cider makes for the perfect treat to warm up on a cool fall day. Mike’s Maze in Sunderland serves up this delicious drink while simultaneously offering the challenge of conquering the maze afterwards. Heavenly cider donuts are plentiful at Atkins Farm. They can be bought with a sugar coating or sugarless. Regardless of whether buying just one or a dozen, these donuts are worthy of the drive. Along the lines of apple-flavored foods, apple pie is another fall favorite. This can also be purchased from Atkins, and when combined with vanilla ice cream can really hit the spot.

Skip dessert and go maniac for mint with these tasty treats. For a miraculous mixture of chocolate and peppermint, peppermint bark is a necessity. This crunchy creation rarely comes cheap, but is well worth it. Starbucks also offers a peppermint mocha drink, garnished with whipped cream and shaved dark chocolate curls. Peppermint ice cream can be found year-round at Bart’s Homemade. This creamy treat adds a delicious bite to a cold winter night.

Gingerbread is making a comeback in coffee and cookies this season. Green Mountain Coffee also makes a limited edition gingerbread flavor. It smells just like a cookie, but adds the comforting warmth factor that is often needed with the cooler weather. Gingerbread cookies are winter favorites that provide the perfect amount of spice. Starbucks also offers a gingerbread latte, topped with whipped cream and nutmeg – that makes for a divine drink.

Jones Soda is famed for creating some of the wackiest concoctions when it comes to soda. This year they have created a holiday gift pack of seasonal flavors, which include candy cane, gingerbread, sugar plum and pear tree. These different sodas are sure to add a unique twist to bubbly classics. It is the best of the holidays in a bottle.

With the impending close of the semester, these five seasonal specialties will ease a burnt-out mind. Embrace the cold weather and indulge in one of these tasty treats.

Malea Ritz can be reached at [email protected].