UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Clooney delivers emotional performance in ‘The Descendants’

Widely considered the archetype of natural beauty, Hawaii is often portrayed as paradise on Earth with visions of its constant sunshine, sparkling beaches and flawlessly pretty people dancing across the minds of Americans. “The Descendants” dispels that illusion by revealing clandestine issues between the state’s inhabitants alongside the backdrop of paradise.

Courtesy freetrailers.info

Matt King (George Clooney) is a descendant of Hawaiian royalty and has inherited significant portions of land in the state. He is the sole member to remain in his family who has had the ability to maintain his wealth. He has accomplished this by keeping his inherited land and living frugally. While it may seem he has it all, Matt is conflicted with inner issues. Matt’s family wants him to sign away the rest of their untouched land to real estate and tourism developers. Although doing this would greatly benefit his family, Matt is unsure of what to do.

Matt points out his family’s dysfunction by describing them as an archipelago: whole in form but drifting apart. As Matt became more invested in his work and his wife worked to push her limits in extreme sports, his marriage struggled to survive. His wife later becomes bed-ridden, paralyzed in an irreversible coma after a boating accident.

Matt’s distant relationship with his daughters has left him confused as he struggles to assist them through tumultuous waves of adolescence and grief. His youngest daughter, Scottie (Amara Miller), is a foul-mouthed troublemaker who constantly struggles to resolve her issues due to the absence of her father. Alexandra (Shailene Woodley) is the eldest; irreverent and confrontational, she lives life recklessly and always speaks her mind. Caught up in a moment of passion, Alexandra reveals to her father that his wife cheated on him. Matt, upset and determined, seeks to confront the other man.

The dialogue is witty and often humorous, providing a “dramedy” feel, common to the films of Alexander Payne, which include “About Schmidt” and “Election.” The characters are specially crafted with layers that add rich meaning and interesting conflict to the plot. The acting is impressive throughout, with Clooney playing his usual role as the charming character. The young actors in the film do a magnificent job of carrying the emotional weight of the film while also adding sharp humor.

Hawaii has been shot on film a million times over, and the cinematography mostly works on the level it’s always been photographed, always featuring the dazzling landscape of the islands. The stereotypical dazzling landscape of the islands that is commonly seen in other films with the same setting makes the film fall victim to all-too-familiar breezy montages. Fortunately, there are more uniquely shot scenes, specifically in the rain-soaked beach scenes that portray muted colors among foggy landscapes.  This is where the film runs a little long, resorting excessively to all too familiar breezy montages. But there are more uniquely shot scenes, specifically in the rain soaked scenes on the beaches that portray beautifully muted colors among foggy landscapes.

The film contains interesting character development, and the dialogue successfully deals with the emotional complexities of the family. For a good-hearted film that’s stimulating on an intellectual and comedic level, or if you really like the way Hawaii looks, “The Descendants” is a film that should be caught in theaters.

Adam Abdelmaksoud can be reached at aabdelma@student.umass.edu.