Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move

The search for a new University of Massachusetts head football coach may have reached its conclusion yesterday as the school, according to Masslive.com, has offered the position to Notre Dame’s Charley Molnar.

The decision is Molnar’s to turn down, as UMass looks to move quickly on the offer and have the deal done soon, according to the website. The school, the website reported, is expected to announce Molnar’s hiring today.

And although Molnar has never had a head coaching position, he is in his second year as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame. This isn’t an unfamiliar position for Molnar, as he has spent 28 years on the offensive side of the ball.

Before he started coaching the Irish, he worked with both Cincinnati and Central Michigan, assisting both wide receivers and quarterbacks. Prior to his gig at Cincinnati, Molnar worked at Lock Haven – his alma mater – Indiana State, Illinois State, Eastern Michigan, Kent State and Western Michigan.

Molnar was offered the job at UMass by Athletic Director John McCutcheon on Monday night, according to the Masslive.com report. The report also stated that the offer came after the two met last weekend in Pittsburgh. The only thing separating Molnar from taking the helm is the details of the contract, according to Masslive.com.

Associate Director of UMass Athletics John Sinnett declined comment on the matter when reached by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian last night.

If hired, Molnar will replace Kevin Morris, who was fired from the head coaching spot on Nov. 21.

Although accepting the job would place Molnar with a new team, he would be in familiar company in the Mid-American Conference, which UMass joins next season. Molnar’s previous experience with the MAC include his time coaching at Central Michigan, Kent State, Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan – all of which are MAC teams.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move”
  1. tom says:

Nice work,interesting and timely story.Hope Umass has a great football season next year.

2. Brian Canova says:

Nice story, Herb. On Twitter you say huge implications – What’s Molnar going to mean for UM footballl?