UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

A ‘Mirror’ into Clinton’s campaign -

UMass a cappella groups S#arp Attitude and The Hexachord’s on ‘Sing It On’ television series -

‘Through the Photographer’s Eyes’ exhibit highlights photojournalism in today’s media -

Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17 -

Massachusetts drought heavily impacts local agriculture -

UMass Soccer earns second win of season in 3-2 victory over Hartford -

‘Morris from America’ explores teen angst and the struggles of growing up -

‘Hell or High Water’ an intense, morally ambiguous modern Western -

UMass field hockey hangs tough, falls to No. 18 Stanford -

Read: You won’t regret it -

Racism in the LGBTQ community -

Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move

The search for a new University of Massachusetts head football coach may have reached its conclusion yesterday as the school, according to Masslive.com, has offered the position to Notre Dame’s Charley Molnar.

The decision is Molnar’s to turn down, as UMass looks to move quickly on the offer and have the deal done soon, according to the website. The school, the website reported, is expected to announce Molnar’s hiring today.

And although Molnar has never had a head coaching position, he is in his second year as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame. This isn’t an unfamiliar position for Molnar, as he has spent 28 years on the offensive side of the ball.

Before he started coaching the Irish, he worked with both Cincinnati and Central Michigan, assisting both wide receivers and quarterbacks. Prior to his gig at Cincinnati, Molnar worked at Lock Haven – his alma mater – Indiana State, Illinois State, Eastern Michigan, Kent State and Western Michigan.

Molnar was offered the job at UMass by Athletic Director John McCutcheon on Monday night, according to the Masslive.com report. The report also stated that the offer came after the two met last weekend in Pittsburgh. The only thing separating Molnar from taking the helm is the details of the contract, according to Masslive.com.

Associate Director of UMass Athletics John Sinnett declined comment on the matter when reached by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian last night.

If hired, Molnar will replace Kevin Morris, who was fired from the head coaching spot on Nov. 21.

Although accepting the job would place Molnar with a new team, he would be in familiar company in the Mid-American Conference, which UMass joins next season. Molnar’s previous experience with the MAC include his time coaching at Central Michigan, Kent State, Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan – all of which are MAC teams.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move”
  1. tom says:

Nice work,interesting and timely story.Hope Umass has a great football season next year.

2. Brian Canova says:

Nice story, Herb. On Twitter you say huge implications – What’s Molnar going to mean for UM footballl?