UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

Jesus: the conservative Republican -

The joy of Snapchat -

Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move

The search for a new University of Massachusetts head football coach may have reached its conclusion yesterday as the school, according to Masslive.com, has offered the position to Notre Dame’s Charley Molnar.

The decision is Molnar’s to turn down, as UMass looks to move quickly on the offer and have the deal done soon, according to the website. The school, the website reported, is expected to announce Molnar’s hiring today.

And although Molnar has never had a head coaching position, he is in his second year as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame. This isn’t an unfamiliar position for Molnar, as he has spent 28 years on the offensive side of the ball.

Before he started coaching the Irish, he worked with both Cincinnati and Central Michigan, assisting both wide receivers and quarterbacks. Prior to his gig at Cincinnati, Molnar worked at Lock Haven – his alma mater – Indiana State, Illinois State, Eastern Michigan, Kent State and Western Michigan.

Molnar was offered the job at UMass by Athletic Director John McCutcheon on Monday night, according to the Masslive.com report. The report also stated that the offer came after the two met last weekend in Pittsburgh. The only thing separating Molnar from taking the helm is the details of the contract, according to Masslive.com.

Associate Director of UMass Athletics John Sinnett declined comment on the matter when reached by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian last night.

If hired, Molnar will replace Kevin Morris, who was fired from the head coaching spot on Nov. 21.

Although accepting the job would place Molnar with a new team, he would be in familiar company in the Mid-American Conference, which UMass joins next season. Molnar’s previous experience with the MAC include his time coaching at Central Michigan, Kent State, Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan – all of which are MAC teams.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move”
  1. tom says:

Nice work,interesting and timely story.Hope Umass has a great football season next year.

2. Brian Canova says:

Nice story, Herb. On Twitter you say huge implications – What’s Molnar going to mean for UM footballl?