The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move

The search for a new University of Massachusetts head football coach may have reached its conclusion yesterday as the school, according to Masslive.com, has offered the position to Notre Dame’s Charley Molnar.

The decision is Molnar’s to turn down, as UMass looks to move quickly on the offer and have the deal done soon, according to the website. The school, the website reported, is expected to announce Molnar’s hiring today.

And although Molnar has never had a head coaching position, he is in his second year as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame. This isn’t an unfamiliar position for Molnar, as he has spent 28 years on the offensive side of the ball.

Before he started coaching the Irish, he worked with both Cincinnati and Central Michigan, assisting both wide receivers and quarterbacks. Prior to his gig at Cincinnati, Molnar worked at Lock Haven – his alma mater – Indiana State, Illinois State, Eastern Michigan, Kent State and Western Michigan.

Molnar was offered the job at UMass by Athletic Director John McCutcheon on Monday night, according to the Masslive.com report. The report also stated that the offer came after the two met last weekend in Pittsburgh. The only thing separating Molnar from taking the helm is the details of the contract, according to Masslive.com.

Associate Director of UMass Athletics John Sinnett declined comment on the matter when reached by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian last night.

If hired, Molnar will replace Kevin Morris, who was fired from the head coaching spot on Nov. 21.

Although accepting the job would place Molnar with a new team, he would be in familiar company in the Mid-American Conference, which UMass joins next season. Molnar’s previous experience with the MAC include his time coaching at Central Michigan, Kent State, Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan – all of which are MAC teams.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Notre Dame’s Molnar may make Minutemen move”
  1. tom says:

Nice work,interesting and timely story.Hope Umass has a great football season next year.

2. Brian Canova says:

Nice story, Herb. On Twitter you say huge implications – What’s Molnar going to mean for UM footballl?