Minutemen hoops take large step forward with win over Quinnipiac

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team used an strong second half run to erase a first half deficit and win its game of winter break, defeating Quinnipiac, 72-67, and preserving its perfect record at home.

Already in a 40-36 halftime hole, the Minutemen (9-3) scored the first 18 points of the half, and took a commanding 14-point lead five minutes into the half, a lead they would hold onto for the remainder of the game.

The win raises UMass’ home record to 5-0.

Sophomore Chaz Williams again led the way for UMass scoring 14 points, while Terrell Vinson broke out of his slump, tallying 13, and Raphiael Putney joined Williams and Vinson in double-figures with 12 points.

Quinnipiac’s James Johnson scorched the Minutemen in the first half, recording 14 of his 22 points in the first 20 minutes. He shot 5-for-8 from the field and knocked down four 3-pointers.

For the majority of the half, the Wildcats (5-5, 1-1 Northeast) held a small lead over UMass, which never exceeded six points. In addition, statistically, the first half was as even as the score indicated.

This even play ceased at the moment both teams stepped on the floor for the second half.

The Minutemen stunned Quinnipiac out of the gates, embarking on a 18-0 run, and making the score 54-40. Over that five-minute stretch, UMass received its production from a number of players.

Jesse Morgan scored his all five of his points during this juncture, while Vinson also chipped in five, with Williams, and Putney each adding three. During the stretch, the Minutemen shot 7-for-10 from the field, three of those shots were 3-pointers,

On the other side, the Wildcats missed all seven shots and turned the ball over four times during the five-minute stretch.

To this point, UMass had shot the 3-pointer at an exceptionally efficient rate. Through 25 minutes of the game, the Minutemen converted on 57 percent (8-for-14) of their 3-point attempts.

Despite, the tables being turned on Quinnipiac in such a quick time span, the Wildcats fought their way back into the game.

UMass threatened to break the game open until the 7:26 mark when an Ike Azotam layup cut the lead to just eight points. From that point on, the Minutemen were slower on offense, and failed to play at the up-tempo pace that had earned them the lead. Poor shooting was showed as they missed their last nine 3-point attempts.

The final four minutes of the game were marked by sloppy play by each team. At the four-minute mark, the score showed the Minutemen ahead 69-63. It took nearly three minutes before either team added to that score as Johnson hit a jump shot with one minute and 39 seconds remaining, making the score 69-65.

Williams countered by going 1-for-2 on his free throw attempts at the other end, while Azotam answered with a layup, cutting the lead to three with 58 seconds remaining. With a chance to make it a two-possession game Williams drove the paint but was stripped by Azotam. Quinnipiac went the other way but failed to get any closer as Johnson missed a layup.

The Wildcats were forced to foul Williams who now had two free throws coming and an opportunity to essentially ice the game. However, Williams, a 75 percent free throw shooter, surprisingly missed both. The rebound from the second miss was knocked around a few times and fell into the hands of Putney who was fouled.

Putney was able to put the game on ice as he made both free throws, making the final score, 72-67.

The Minutemen will now play host to Davidson on Dec. 22nd at the Mullins Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at [email protected] and can be followed on Twitter @MDC_Alexander.