A New Course for Residential Life: How Students Can Help

As students settle into their residence halls and start classes for the spring semester, I am reaching out to clarify the changes planned for next year in Residential Life and to enlist your participation as we chart a path forward.

First, you should know that the administration hears your worries and concerns.  In developing a program to improve Residence Education, our staff drew upon many sources, including best practices nationwide and conversations with students and staff. But our formal process for student input should have been broader and our communications clearer. That is a priority this semester, and it will include a university Working Group’s assessment of the best ways to provide academic support and ensure student success and to consider establishing Peer Tutoring in residence halls.

We must foster a better sense of belonging, connect students to advising and tutoring resources, facilitate personal development and help undergraduates navigate the complexities of UMass. The Residential Life staff has developed a creative plan that is broad in scope to achieve these objectives, and I encourage you to view the full details. Here, I want to focus on the changes that appear to be the most controversial or misunderstood.

First, these proposed changes are not about budget savings. In fact, the Residential Life restructuring plan actually calls for the net addition of positions that will enhance support for the residential experience.

The Working Group on Student Success, appointed by the provost, will take a comprehensive look at academic support services with students Emma Allen, director of the Residence Hall Association (RHA), and Yevin Roh, president of the Student Government Association (SGA), serving on the seven-person panel, chaired by Vice Provost Carol Barr. The group will discuss what residential-based academic programs and services might add value, how they would mesh with existing programs, and identify appropriate oversight in Academic Affairs.

Valued contributions made by Peer Mentors will be part of the Working Group’s assessment. A variety of options will be considered. For instance, a pilot Peer Tutoring program could co-exist with Peer Mentors, or a Peer Tutoring program could be phased in and Peer Mentors phased out. If Peer Mentors are eliminated, their essential work will continue, being integrated into the responsibilities of other staff who will have additional time for this role–providing academic support for first-year students, including time management skills and connecting them with academic departments and advisors.

At North Apartments, the reduction in undergraduate staff reflects the goal of helping students become more independent, self-reliant and ready for life beyond the university. This will be a pilot program designed for rising juniors and seniors and is an expression of confidence in our students. They don’t require as much support as younger students, and the elimination of Apartment Living Assistants helps us hire more professional staff and Resident Assistants for other residential programs and locations.

The Orchard Hill residential area will continue to have living options for upper-class students, a revision from the announced plan.

Even with all the changes, there are many ways that students can voice their opinions and shape the implementation process.

Eddie Hull, executive director of Residential Life, will invite representatives of the RHA this month to aid in planning efforts. Students will play important roles in determining how to measure success, how best to communicate changes to students, and participate in the selection process for new professional staff.

In an effort to help educate the UMass community on the upcoming changes, I will be making appearances with various student organizations around campus during the upcoming week.

On Monday,  Jan. 23, at 7 p.m., in Room 163 of the Campus Center, I will attend the Undergraduate Student Senate meeting to discuss the SGA’s December resolution on Residential Life and answer questions.

On Tuesday, Jan. 24, at 6 p.m. in Room 163 of the Campus Center, Eddie Hull and I will attend an RHA meeting to discuss the SophoMORE initiative and seek advice on another important issue, room selection for next year. The growing student body and increased demand to live on campus make it impossible to guarantee a room next year to every student now living on campus. Room selection priority options include seniority based on number of semesters lived on campus; a lottery for all students; a lottery giving priority to sophomores, based on the belief that seniors and juniors are best prepared to live off campus; or some hybrid of these approaches.

On Monday, Jan. 30, at 6 p.m. in Room 163 of the Campus Center, Tara Loomis , director of residence education, Eddie Hull and I will host a campus open forum to provide updates on  Residential Life changes and answer questions.

I encourage you to attend public forums, communicate with your RHA representatives, and offer your time and assistance to residence hall staff as we move ahead. This process is focused on improving the student experience, and we need your help to ensure success.

Jean Kim is vice chancellor for student affairs and campus life at UMass Amherst.