UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

Ryan Moloney pitches seven scoreless innings as UMass baseball takes series opener from Fordham -

Asser: Don’t look now but here come the Minutemen

Massachusetts fans have had to bear recent struggles, but it appears the men’s basketball team is finally starting to give reason for hope for a return to prominence.

Ever since I arrived to the University of Massachusetts in the fall of 2008, I’ve heard one wish continuously uttered by UMass sports fans: “I hope the men’s basketball team somehow earns a trip to the NCAA tournament.”

This season was not supposed to inspire hope for that wish coming true.

After losing Anthony Gurley, their top scorer and best player, it seemed like a transition year for the Minutemen. A new point guard, a new offensive scheme and the departure of a key assistant coach in Vance Walberg were obstacles that were considered difficult to surmount without taking some bruises.

And yet, that’s not been the case.

UMass is currently 3-2 in the Atlantic 10 and 14-5 overall, with both records placing the Minutemen in the top echelon of the conference. While there is still over a third of the season left to play, it’s hard to ignore the possible path the Minutemen are headed on this spring.

Maybe fans are jumping the gun, but when the prominent sport at your university struggles for a period of time and then gives reason for excitement, you tend to get ahead of yourself.

As an institution with such a rich history in men’s basketball, it’s been difficult to the watch the valleys UMass has fallen into the last decade. Even when the Travis Ford era hit a crescendo in the 2007-08 season, it was in the National Invitational Tournament, a step down from the level the Minutemen were accustomed to playing at in the 90s.

That’s not to say reaching the NIT wouldn’t be a success for UMass this season. It would be a significant step up from how the Minutemen have finished the past three years.

There were signs of an improved program brewing at the beginning of last season. UMass began the campaign with seven consecutive wins, including an exciting season-opener at the Mullins Center that saw the Minutemen overcome a 22-point deficit.

Then, UMass came back to Earth. Hard. A loss to Boston College began a difficult stretch of four-straight losses, the first of three four-loss streaks.

So far this season, the Minutemen have not purchased their ticket for the rollercoaster ride. In fact, UMass started the year hot again with four consecutive wins and aside from isolated losses, has kept the winning ways going.

What’s somewhat surprising of how the Minutemen are winning is their enormous success at home this year, posting a 10-0 record. It’s not as if the Mullins Center is rocking every game night, especially during winter recess when the majority of UMass students are home enjoying the holidays.

Sure, some of the wins are attributed to the lack of strong competition the Minutemen faced in the first half of the season. But even in the A-10, the toughest conference outside the powerhouses, the Minutemen have picked up early victories.

In the middle of last week, the A-10 had 11 of its 14 teams ranked in the top 100 of the RPI, more than any other conference. It’s safe to say, the real test for UMass is on the horizon.

Being a part of March Madness is what fans want, but they shouldn’t be disappointed if the Minutemen miss the Big Dance this year. This team is still relatively young, with two of their best players – Chaz Williams and Raphiael Putney – only in their sophomore year.

It probably won’t be a drastic turnaround, but the building blocks are in place and the Minutemen are starting to conjure up excitement that has recently eluded not only the program, but the entire university as a whole.

It’s taken some patience, but UMass is starting to get there.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @MDC_Asser.