UHS robbers make off with rubbery loot

Early in the morning Dec. 10, the Saturday before finals, two University of Massachusetts students allegedly broke into University Health Services in an attempt to steal drugs. Although they failed to gain entrance to the UHS pharmacy, the suspects reportedly made off with medical supplies and a container of condoms.

Jacob W. Hammond, 18, of 145 Willis Rd, Phillipston, and Christopher J. Quigley, 18, of  71 Main St, Millbury, were arrested at 8:18 a.m. the following Monday by UMass police and charged with the break-in.

UMass police became aware of the forced entry at 7:40 a.m. on Dec. 10. Officers reported to UHS, where they found two 6-inch by 24-inch broken windows in the doors leading to the clinic area and the pharmacy, both on the first floor.

UMass Deputy Police Chief Patrick Archbald also said that dirt was found on the floor of exam room 166 and that the exam room’s window, although not broken, was likely the entry point.

The two perpetrators allegedly broke into UHS by unlocking the window of exam room 166. They then traveled from the exam room to the pharmacy by breaking windows in order to unlock doors.

The UHS pharmacy, being an “area of concern,” is filmed by security cameras, said Archbald. He explained that the UMass detectives began their investigation by looking over the video footage.

The security tape showed two college-age white males unsuccessfully trying to break into the pharmacy and being foiled by the metal pull-down grate that covers the pharmacy’s entrance.

The perpetrators’ description led detectives to believe they might be UMass students, said Archbald. The detectives compared the time of the two men leaving UHS to UCard swipes in the area and found two white males entering Gorman Residence Hall with the same plastic container filled with condoms carried by the burglars.

Archbald called finding the two men “not very difficult,” because, he said, the plastic container made them easily identifiable on the video footage.

“This was a strong investigation by our detectives on this case,” he said. “The use of cameras is an invaluable tool, and that was proved in this case.”

Hammond and Quigley were charged with five felonies each: two counts of breaking and entering for both the UHS building and the attempted forced entry of the pharmacy, two counts of vandalism for the two broken windows and larceny for stethoscopes and scalpels stolen from exam rooms.

University spokesman Ed Blaguszewski applauded the police department’s quick work on the break-in.

“The police responded and made a prompt arrest … working to make sure justice is served,” he said.

Currently, Hammond and Quigley are awaiting further court dates and the Dean of Students office was notified of the arrest, meaning they could face University sanctions, as well.

Sam Hayes can be reached at [email protected].