Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass tops the charts of highest paid state employees

Of the 100 highest paid state workers in Massachusetts, 93 of them are employed by the University of Massachusetts system.

In December, in accordance with public record laws, the Comptroller of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts unveiled Massachusetts Open Checkbook, a website where details of state spending and payroll information is available online.

Nearly 1,200 UMass system employees were paid over $125,000 in 2011, according to data from the Massachusetts Office of the Comptroller, and over 150 UMass system employees’ salaries were above $200,000.

The top paid state employee in Massachusetts is Michael F. Collins, the UMass Medical School Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Health Sciences.

Collins was paid $761,314 in 2011, a $21,414 increase from the prior year. Collins was appointed Chancellor of the medical school in September of 2008 by the University Board of Trustees. According to the medical school website, Collins’ job entails overseeing the “University of Massachusetts system-wide health and life sciences portfolio, charged with leading strategic initiatives to strengthen the university’s efforts in the area and engaging more fully with the Commonwealth’s dynamic health and life sciences sector.” The Chancellor’s three-year contract was signed by former University of Massachusetts President Jack Wilson in February of 2011, which raised his annual base salary and deferred compensation.

In addition, Collins was given a home owned by the University of Massachusetts Foundation to live in while Chancellor. The home, valued at $736,600 is a five-bedroom, four-bathroom house, according to city property records. The second-highest paid employee in the state also works at the medical school.

Terence R. Flotte, dean of the School of Medicine, executive deputy chancellor and provost of the school was paid $701,141 in 2011. The provost received a $42,487 raise from his earnings in 2010. Flotte joined the medical school in May 2007, leaving his position at the University of Florida, where he was Chair of the Pediatrics Department and College of Medicine, according to the UMass Medical School website. The average salary of a provost at the five University of Massachusetts campuses is $316,784. The pay increases of Flotte and Collins stand in contrast with the two percent raises negotiated with union workers at the medical school and a previous salary freeze for all university employees earning $120,000 a year or more, according to the Worcester Telegram & Gazette.

Kevin P. Morris, the former head football coach at the flagship campus, made the third highest salary in 2011. Morris’ base salary was $200,000 per season, though his total earnings last year were $664,446. Despite the high salary, Morris was fired in November of 2011. UMass Athletic Director John McCutcheon told the Daily Hampshire Gazette that the school’s decision to fire Morris was part of the football team’s move to the Bowl Subdivision of Division I football from the Championship Subdivision. The team’s losing records in 2011 and 2010 also played a part in the decision to fire Morris, said McCutcheon.

Morris signed a five-year contract with the University, and had two years remaining on his contract. McCutcheon told the Gazette Morris was bought out of his contract for $475,000 While University of Massachusetts employees top the pay charts, the governor falls much lower on the list.

In 2011, Governor Deval Patrick made $139,832. Lieutenant Governor Timothy Murray was paid $124,327 for the same year. Last year, the governor signed into law reforms in hopes of “new transparency and accountability reforms as part of the state’s [fiscal year] 2011 budget,” according to a statement on his website. These reforms sparked the creation of Massachusetts Open Checkbook.

The website shows all spending by state agencies, including employee earnings and salaries. The statement added, “Open Checkbook is meant to be a window into state government and to provide the public with access to state government spending information.”

Michelle Williams can be reached at mnwillia@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UMass tops the charts of highest paid state employees”
  1. Brian says:

Patrick will cash in after he leaves office

2. Jack Nosliw says:

Nice reporting michelle. You might want to ask stephanie ebert at the Boston globe why she didn’t credit you when she published essentially the same story under her own byline at the Boston globe on feb. 11