Djaferis receives IEEE Distinguished Member Award

The University of Massachusetts Dean of Engineering Theodore E. Djaferis received the 2011 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Control Systems Society (CSS) Distinguished Member Award over winter break, according to a press release.

Djaferis was globally recognized for his contributions in robust control and algebraic system theory on Dec. 14 in Orlando, Fla. at the 2011 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, according to the press release.

Djaferis received one of the only two awards given in 2011 and one of the only 86 given since the society formed in 1954, according to the press release.

Djaferis, a member of IEEE, holding positions including president, vice president, and board of governors IEEE CSS, and program chair IEEE Conference on Design and Control, graduated from the UMass electrical and computer engineering program in 1974. He went on to pursue a master of science in electrical engineering in 1977 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and another electrical engineering degree from MIT in 1978, according to the press release.

According to the press release, IEEE is a massive society dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity, and has over 340,000 members. CSS is one of many member societies, containing over 9,000 members.

According to the press release, Djaferis began teaching at UMass in 1979 and has been the dean since 2009. He has received various awards including UMass’ Outstanding Teacher Award in 2001.

–       Vickie Palmatier, Collegian Correspondent