UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

So we float on to what comes next

MCT

MCT

One of my good friends from this past semester, Billy Perkins, former news editor of the Collegian from last semester, had a favorite book: “The Great Gatsby.” A literary classic, “T.G.G.” is an exceptional tale that can span the test of time.

Most of us were more or less ordered to read the novel during high school. I, being the attitude-filled rebel without a cause – excuse the cliché –  that I was, decided not to read it. After all, I was a liberal in Utah at the time. Why would I read the book if a Utah teacher asked me to?

That was my thinking then. But, like Gatsby ends, “we beat on, boats against the current.”

Today, I spent a few hours with four of my closest friends. One of them, Ian, with whom I’ve been friends since seventh grade, is leaving for Germany. He’ll be gone until July 31 – the same day his car’s inspection sticker expires, funnily enough.

Anyway, Ian’s leaving is the latest and last case of my great friends departing abroad. Friends I met in my freshman year of college, my roommate from sophomore year and current “broski,” as well as several others, all of whom have left to study abroad for the semester. Some have already gone to places like Ireland and are due back in the fall.

And with all of my great friends – save for a few – having gone to different places all across the globe, I’m left pondering about what’s to come next. This marks another time when I’ve had to start over, fresh, from the bottom and work my way back to the top.

But this tells me, and all of us, something about life. Our friends may leave, whether temporarily or not, and we stay behind. And when this happens, we can only do one thing.

We beat on.

This coming semester is going to be new for me; a fresh start and complete overhaul of the life I’ve been living. It’s a new world to conquer. In some ways, like my great friends, I am also traveling abroad. I am also entering a new country.

Music will sound different, tastes will rattle the taste buds in new ways and it will be a completely different experience for me this semester.

I often look at the world as a television show. Some look at it as a movie, but I’ve always considered the television show to be the better analogy. Each day is an episode. Some are better than others, some are for character development and some are for fleshing out the story.

And this coming semester, as I move back to the University of Massachusetts, in what is surely a mid-season premiere, things will change significantly. It’s a sure game-changer, knowing that most of those who made the past three years so fantastic will be away.

But we beat on, we move on and we survive this. We always do, don’t we? We always face the darkness and emerge with the brightest of lights. Before we know it, the trouble and the storm is far behind us.

If you’re facing similar circumstances or you’re looking for a clean slate or change, just remember that we beat on, like boats against the current. We sway back and forth and continue forward no matter what troubles may face us.

You may despise your job, you may hate the people you work with, you may have lost someone’s respect, you may have lost your girlfriend, you may have lost your friends or you may have done something inexplicable. But you’ve got to move forward and know that no matter what characters leave or how the settings change, the television show — unless it’s cancelled — continues onward.

So with that, I say let’s have this mid-season premiere. Let’s face the challenges that await us. And, most certainly, let us all beat on, boats against the current.

Herb Scribner is a Collegian contributor. He can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.