UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Syracuse surrenders top spot, Kentucky new No. 1

MCT

MCT

For the first time in six weeks, Syracuse dropped from the No. 1 spot in the Associated Press Top 25 college basketball rankings after losing its first game of the season.

After starting the season off with 20-straight wins, the Orange (21-1) suffered an unlikely loss to Notre Dame (12-8). With leading rebounder and shot-blocker Fab Melo not playing for Syracuse, forward Jack Cooley was able to shine for the Fighting Irish, picking up 17 points and 10 boards in a 67-58 victory. Melo did not make the trip to South Bend, Ind., for unknown reasons.

Two days later the Orange were able to pick up a win at Cincinnati (15-6), but couldn’t salvage the top spot, falling to No. 3.

Kentucky (19-1) reclaimed the No. 1 spot, after Syracuse originally overtook the Wildcats as the top team back in the sixth week of the season. Kentucky, whose only loss was a one-point heartbreaker to Indiana, easily beat down Arkansas (14-5) last week, as well as beating Alabama (13-6).

Also jumping ahead of the Orange to the No. 2 spot was Missouri (18-1) after knocking off the previous No. 3 team, Baylor (17-2), 89-88. Ricardo Ratliffe scored 27 for the Tigers as they stayed alive just long enough to hold off a hot-shooting Bears team.

Baylor descended to No. 6 with a pair of losses last week. After starting off 17-0, the Bears were also dismantled by Kansas (17-3), as the Jayhawks followed a 27 point, 14 rebound performance by Thomas Robinson, winning easily, 92-74.

Kansas jumped up two spots to No. 5 with the win over Baylor as well as wins against Texas (12-7) and Texas A&M (11-8).

Ohio State (17-3) also rose in the rankings, claiming the No. 4 spot with an impressive win over No. 17 Indiana (16-4), which has lost three of its last four after winning 15 of its first 16 games.

Duke (16-3) fell four spots from No. 4 to No. 8 after a three-point loss to then-unranked Florida State (13-6). With the win, the Seminoles jumped into the rankings to the No. 23 spot.

North Carolina (16-3) was able to go one spot ahead of arch-rival Duke at No.7. The Tar Heels defeated Virginia Tech (12-7), 82-68, gaining back a margin of respect after its 33 point loss to FSU on Jan. 14.

Rounding out the top 10 are Georgetown (16-3) and Michigan State (16-4), respectively, with each trading its previous position on the poll.

Murray State (20-0) continued to rise to No. 11, as they remained the only undefeated team in the nation.

UNLV (18-3), San Diego State (17-2), Florida (15-4) and Creighton (18-2) all leaped at least two spots, filling out spots 12 to 15, respectively.

Marquette (16-4) climbed four spots to No. 17, coming back from 16 points down to defeat Louisville (15-5), knocking the Cardinals out of the Top 25.

No. 18 Mississippi State (16-4) and No. 20 Michigan (15-5) stood steady at their spots, while Virginia (15-3) squeezed up in between them at No. 19.

Saint Mary’s (19-2) and Kansas State (14-4) each went up three spots to No. 21 and 22, respectively, while Connecticut plummeted from No. 13 to No. 24 after consecutive losses to Cincinnati and Tennessee.

Closing out the Top 25 was newcomer Wisconsin (16-5), who closely defeated then-No. 25 Illinois (15-5), 67-63, and replaced the Fighting Illini with the last spot.

Taylor Snow can be reached at tsnow@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Snow.